Windows 10 update changed my personal settings---WHY???

Anonymous
2017-11-18T01:41:39+00:00

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 just installed itself on my computer. I checked the details of the so-called new features. There's absolutely nothing there that I need or want. But I had no choice. During the update, Microsoft changed my display language and turned on password protected sharing. It also deleted the quick start toolbar from my taskbar. There may be other changes that I haven't found yet.

At no time during the update did I receive any notification about these changes. Every time Windows 10 updates, I have to spend hours tracking down and fixing unwanted changes.

Why do you do these things, Microsoft? Is there a setting that lets me protect my personalization settings from your stupid unwanted "feature" updates?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-18T04:05:30+00:00

    So your best solution is to send feedback to Microsoft? Does Microsoft need user feedback to know that it's very annoying and disruptive to have settings randomly disrupted without warning every time Windows 10 is updated?

    Why don't you provide a real answer to my question?

    Is there a way to protect my personalization settings during Microsoft's _compulsory_ updates? YES? NO?

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-22T00:00:05+00:00

    "it is best to turn off the automatic update"

    You can't actually do that. However, it is now possible to delay feature updates for up to a year and quality updates (including security improvements) for up to a month. The feature updates have been the most troublesome and least useful for me, so I've delayed them for four months to allow me to check content and the user reaction. The quality improvements I've left at 0 days delay because of the security implications.

    I don't think this delay option was available in the original Windows 10. It's a welcome addition that should have been there from the start.

    Also, if Microsoft is going to mess around with users' personalization settings, they should at least give notice of that and issue a list of settings that are likely to be affected. Windows 10 is the most difficult version to personalize because of the cut-down personalization system, and I've been losing hours fixing things after every "feature" update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    90+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-22T03:49:01+00:00

    @BulldogXX

    I don't suspect Microsoft of sinister motives, just incompetent programming plus a total lack of consideration for user needs.

    I've found that user settings stay intact through Android updates, but with Microsoft Windows anything can happen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    90+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-22T04:19:17+00:00

    Android and Windows are both operating systems with user interfaces that provide numerous options. Both undergo regular updates. I think the comparison is quite valid. If I have an attitude, it's been shaped by long experience with Microsoft products and their problems.

    I'm sure Microsoft has thousands of competent programmers. But as an organization they're  incompetent at reading user needs and managing their resources to meet those needs. Windows has major defects going all the way back to 3.1 in such areas as networking. Office used to be an excellent suite but they've completely ruined the user interface with the ribbon and the single-document interface in Word.

    In both Office and Windows, instead of fixing bugs, Microsoft creates feature bloat and instability.

    Was this answer helpful?

    70+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-11-22T04:59:04+00:00

    You have got to be kidding me!  I received a notice that asked if I wanted to select a later time--I hit the drop down box to select a future time and it immediately began the upgrade not giving me a chance to pick a later option.

    There is not enough information prior to determining to accept the upgrade to even make a reasoned choice.   After the upgrade completed users received a information routine to help inform users of the wonderful and grand changes we now have an option to use.  (Only 1 of the features was anything I am remotely interested in pursuing.)  

    What Microsoft developers need to understand is that many of us would like to activate modules that are germane to us and be given a chance in advance to make an informed decision what we would like to buy pass completely.

    Issues:   Where did the restore point feature disappeared to?  It was an extremely useful feature.  Would like it back.

                  Upgrade caused me to have to reinstall and reconfigure my Epson scan system.  Had to resort to husbands Vista system to get any work done.  

                  I get an initial blue screen on power up prior to with window sign in that says "User Name or Password are incorrect" but it continues to              the windows log screen anyway.

                 Turned on Skype to God and the World when I had previously very purposefully shut it down completely.

    Recommednation:  Introduce a Windows OS that allows users to pick certain modules and omit ones they have security concerns about or just do not want to include such as the "social" side including Skype.  I want a secure system that I can trust for financial work, business production and photo/video design but do not want "social" hosting of any sort.

    Was this answer helpful?

    60+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments