Bluetooth adapter device cannot start (code 10)

Anonymous
2017-11-05T02:13:33+00:00

Greetings,

After installing the Fall Creators update, I started experiencing problems with my bluetooth adapter driver (Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)). The device manager gives

so I cannot connect any bluetooth device to my PC. I tried re-installing the adapter driver (by removing it entirely from my PC then reinstalling from Intel's website, my motherboard's DVD, etc.) which did not correct the problem, noting that it has always been in the latest version. I have used other things provided by Microsoft such as the installation/uninstallation troubleshooter, which suggested that the registries may have not properly been removed. This appeared to be the case, though this did not resolve the driver issue. Uninstalling the update and repeating the above did not fix this either. Any suggestions as how to proceed?

I note that the bluetooth adapter driver is fully functioning on my dual-booted Manjaro operating system.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-17T04:35:08+00:00

    I attempted to perform a system restore to the proper date. System restore fails and I get error message 0x80070005 that system restore could not access file. It suggests that an antivirus program may be the cause. However I turned that off and tried system restore a 2nd time and still got the same error.

    In other forum posts there are suggestions that a read only System Volume Information folder may be to blame. However the directions to make it temporarily not read only don't seem to work in Windows 10 as there is no options to view protected operating system folders.

    Do you have any suggestions?

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-19T18:38:52+00:00

    We appreciate your response, John. Since you're getting an error when you tried to perform a system restore, we suggest that you access safe mode. Once done, try performing system restore again and see if you'll receive the error again.

    We're looking forward to your feedback.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-24T16:33:07+00:00

    I was very busy last week and didn't get the time to get around to this. All of the system restore points that were from before the last update are no longer available. Is there any way to restore to a point before the update then?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-26T18:02:04+00:00

    Restore points are deleted after 90 days since it's the default time for it to stay in the computer's system. Upgrading can also be the reason of a missing or deleted restore points. However, restoring beyond or prior to the update couldn't be possible, since it (should) also created or saved a restore point on that day. If it wasn't a long time since your computer updated, we suggest that you make some space on your computer by removing some of your files in the system drive. Check this article to learn more about "System Restore "restore points" are missing or deleted".

    We're looking forward to your feedback.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-14T00:36:54+00:00

    I think I am having the same problem. I also have a custom built PC with an ASROCK Z270 Killer SLI motherboard. However when I type the commands that you posted above into cmd (running as administrator), I get an error that states that the module failed to load, and that it could not be found.

    Is there anything I can do to fix this?

    Hi John,

    Just to check, are you having an issue with your Bluetooth?

    We're looking forward to your reply.

    Yes,

    There was a small update that came out earlier this week. After the update the bluetooth on my desktop no longer works. When I check on the bluetooth driver (Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth) in Device Manager, I get the same error that the original poster had. It says

    "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

    "STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE"

    I am also running driver software 19.41.0.1

    I am not able to connect any bluetooth enabled devices to the PC. I have not gotten this error before until the update that was downloaded and installed earlier this week. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver software, but it still gives the same error. I was hoping that since I have the same motherboard as the original poster I would be able to use the same solution that he did in order to make it work. It doesn't look like I have that file on my system though as when running the command posted above in the command prompt, as administrator, I get an error that states that the module "btmshellex.dll" failed to load and that the specified module could not be found.

    I don't think I am able to roll back from this update since it was not a major one.

    Any recommendations on what I can do?

    Thank you for your reply.

    The error "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" usually appears when the device's hardware key contains a "FailReasonString" value, and the value string displays an error message defined by the hardware manufacturer.

    To resolve this, please perform the following:

    1. Run the hardware and device troubleshooter.
    2. Update the Bluetooth driver.

    You may also check the following useful articles:

    1. Error codes in Device Manager in Windows
    2. How to use the Regsvr32 tool and troubleshoot Regsvr32 error messages

    Feel free to post back should you need further help.

    I did the troubleshooter. IT fixed something then the adapter worked, then went back to error code 10. What is happening?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments