Bluetooth adapter device cannot start (code 10)

Anonymous
2017-11-05T02:13:33+00:00

Greetings,

After installing the Fall Creators update, I started experiencing problems with my bluetooth adapter driver (Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)). The device manager gives

so I cannot connect any bluetooth device to my PC. I tried re-installing the adapter driver (by removing it entirely from my PC then reinstalling from Intel's website, my motherboard's DVD, etc.) which did not correct the problem, noting that it has always been in the latest version. I have used other things provided by Microsoft such as the installation/uninstallation troubleshooter, which suggested that the registries may have not properly been removed. This appeared to be the case, though this did not resolve the driver issue. Uninstalling the update and repeating the above did not fix this either. Any suggestions as how to proceed?

I note that the bluetooth adapter driver is fully functioning on my dual-booted Manjaro operating system.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-18T04:45:51+00:00

    I ran the Hardware and Device troubleshooter. It did say that there was a problem with my Bluetooth device, however after troubleshooting it was not able to find a solution for the problem. I also tried updating the Bluetooth driver, but according to Windows my driver is already up to date. I also downloaded the latest versions from Intel's website and from AS Rock (my motherboard manufacturer), but they are the same as what is already installed. It looks to me as if the driver is not the problem. Are there any other possibilities?

    Thanks for the help.

    Thank you for the updates.

    For us  to further check the issue, we'd like to know if you've tried performing the steps on how to troubleshoot Regsvr32 error messages. If so, what was the result? And can you also provide the update you've installed? To check, press Windows key + i > select Update & Security > click View installed update history.

    We'll be waiting for your reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-13T10:52:51+00:00

    Hi team, I have same issue, have tried

    1. Bluetooth support service - restart solution - this didn't work

    2)Have tried uninstalling driver and installing new driver - this didn't work as on restart the old driver loads and error message appears

    1. Have tried updating driver - this didn't work as its up to date

    3)Have tried cmd: regsvr32 /u btmshellex.dll - this gives me fail to load error4_ in command prompt

    Have an asus ux305

    Don't really know where to go from here? Don't really want to start screwing round in the registry. This has ended badly in the past.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-14T01:06:52+00:00

    Update, I opened my computer today for round two of trying to repair my Bluetooth. Everything worked perfectly, immediately! I have no idea how it did it but it managed to fix itself overnight. Anyway i'm happy!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-14T23:16:28+00:00

    Since my PC did not have a lot of programs on it, I resolved the problem by reinstalling Windows. After this the bluetooth was working properly.

    However, last night there was an update and when my PC was turned own this morning the Bluetooth is no longer working again. I did go through the process of checking for driver updates again, but everything appears to be up to date. I also tried the method that was suggested earlier about using btmshellex.dll registration error with the Regsvr32 tool. The error that I get with the Regsvr32 tool when I use the elevated command prompt and type "regsvr 32 /u btmshellex.dll" is that ...

    "The module "btmshellex.dll" failed to load.

    Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.

    The specified module could not be found."

    Based on this and the link you provided, it looks like the btmshellex.dll file is not in the correct location or doesn't exist. I ran a search in windows file explorer over the entire C: drive and it was not able to find it.

    Based on my update history, there were two updated installed last night.

    One was the "2018-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4074588)"

    The other was "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - February 2018 (KB890830)"

    Thanks for help. If there is anything else you need let me know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-02-15T18:58:53+00:00

    Hi John,

    The update could be causing a conflict between the Bluetooth and your computer. In the meantime, we suggest that you perform a System restore to the time that you've reinstalled your computer. Once done, you may stop the updates from installing on your computer. Here is the steps to disable the updates in command prompt:

    1. Press the Windows key + X on your keyboard, then choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    2. Type these commands one-by-one:net stop wuauservnet stop bitsnet stop dosvc
    3. Close the command prompt and restart your computer once done.

    Let us know if the issue persists after performing System restore to remove the update/s.


    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments