Bluetooth adapter device cannot start (code 10)

Anonymous
2017-11-05T02:13:33+00:00

Greetings,

After installing the Fall Creators update, I started experiencing problems with my bluetooth adapter driver (Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)). The device manager gives

so I cannot connect any bluetooth device to my PC. I tried re-installing the adapter driver (by removing it entirely from my PC then reinstalling from Intel's website, my motherboard's DVD, etc.) which did not correct the problem, noting that it has always been in the latest version. I have used other things provided by Microsoft such as the installation/uninstallation troubleshooter, which suggested that the registries may have not properly been removed. This appeared to be the case, though this did not resolve the driver issue. Uninstalling the update and repeating the above did not fix this either. Any suggestions as how to proceed?

I note that the bluetooth adapter driver is fully functioning on my dual-booted Manjaro operating system.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-19T18:38:52+00:00

    We appreciate your response, John. Since you're getting an error when you tried to perform a system restore, we suggest that you access safe mode. Once done, try performing system restore again and see if you'll receive the error again.

    We're looking forward to your feedback.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-17T04:35:08+00:00

    I attempted to perform a system restore to the proper date. System restore fails and I get error message 0x80070005 that system restore could not access file. It suggests that an antivirus program may be the cause. However I turned that off and tried system restore a 2nd time and still got the same error.

    In other forum posts there are suggestions that a read only System Volume Information folder may be to blame. However the directions to make it temporarily not read only don't seem to work in Windows 10 as there is no options to view protected operating system folders.

    Do you have any suggestions?

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-15T18:58:53+00:00

    Hi John,

    The update could be causing a conflict between the Bluetooth and your computer. In the meantime, we suggest that you perform a System restore to the time that you've reinstalled your computer. Once done, you may stop the updates from installing on your computer. Here is the steps to disable the updates in command prompt:

    1. Press the Windows key + X on your keyboard, then choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    2. Type these commands one-by-one:net stop wuauservnet stop bitsnet stop dosvc
    3. Close the command prompt and restart your computer once done.

    Let us know if the issue persists after performing System restore to remove the update/s.


    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-14T23:16:28+00:00

    Since my PC did not have a lot of programs on it, I resolved the problem by reinstalling Windows. After this the bluetooth was working properly.

    However, last night there was an update and when my PC was turned own this morning the Bluetooth is no longer working again. I did go through the process of checking for driver updates again, but everything appears to be up to date. I also tried the method that was suggested earlier about using btmshellex.dll registration error with the Regsvr32 tool. The error that I get with the Regsvr32 tool when I use the elevated command prompt and type "regsvr 32 /u btmshellex.dll" is that ...

    "The module "btmshellex.dll" failed to load.

    Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.

    The specified module could not be found."

    Based on this and the link you provided, it looks like the btmshellex.dll file is not in the correct location or doesn't exist. I ran a search in windows file explorer over the entire C: drive and it was not able to find it.

    Based on my update history, there were two updated installed last night.

    One was the "2018-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4074588)"

    The other was "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - February 2018 (KB890830)"

    Thanks for help. If there is anything else you need let me know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-02-14T01:06:52+00:00

    Update, I opened my computer today for round two of trying to repair my Bluetooth. Everything worked perfectly, immediately! I have no idea how it did it but it managed to fix itself overnight. Anyway i'm happy!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments