Bluetooth adapter device cannot start (code 10)

Anonymous
2017-11-05T02:13:33+00:00

Greetings,

After installing the Fall Creators update, I started experiencing problems with my bluetooth adapter driver (Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)). The device manager gives

so I cannot connect any bluetooth device to my PC. I tried re-installing the adapter driver (by removing it entirely from my PC then reinstalling from Intel's website, my motherboard's DVD, etc.) which did not correct the problem, noting that it has always been in the latest version. I have used other things provided by Microsoft such as the installation/uninstallation troubleshooter, which suggested that the registries may have not properly been removed. This appeared to be the case, though this did not resolve the driver issue. Uninstalling the update and repeating the above did not fix this either. Any suggestions as how to proceed?

I note that the bluetooth adapter driver is fully functioning on my dual-booted Manjaro operating system.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-16T04:33:26+00:00

    I ran the Hardware and Device troubleshooter. It did say that there was a problem with my Bluetooth device, however after troubleshooting it was not able to find a solution for the problem. I also tried updating the Bluetooth driver, but according to Windows my driver is already up to date. I also downloaded the latest versions from Intel's website and from AS Rock (my motherboard manufacturer), but they are the same as what is already installed. It looks to me as if the driver is not the problem. Are there any other possibilities?

    Thanks for the help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-11T05:08:44+00:00

    I think I am having the same problem. I also have a custom built PC with an ASROCK Z270 Killer SLI motherboard. However when I type the commands that you posted above into cmd (running as administrator), I get an error that states that the module failed to load, and that it could not be found.

    Is there anything I can do to fix this?

    Hi John,

    Just to check, are you having an issue with your Bluetooth?

    We're looking forward to your reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-18T04:45:51+00:00

    I ran the Hardware and Device troubleshooter. It did say that there was a problem with my Bluetooth device, however after troubleshooting it was not able to find a solution for the problem. I also tried updating the Bluetooth driver, but according to Windows my driver is already up to date. I also downloaded the latest versions from Intel's website and from AS Rock (my motherboard manufacturer), but they are the same as what is already installed. It looks to me as if the driver is not the problem. Are there any other possibilities?

    Thanks for the help.

    Thank you for the updates.

    For us  to further check the issue, we'd like to know if you've tried performing the steps on how to troubleshoot Regsvr32 error messages. If so, what was the result? And can you also provide the update you've installed? To check, press Windows key + i > select Update & Security > click View installed update history.

    We'll be waiting for your reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-12T05:34:47+00:00

    I think I am having the same problem. I also have a custom built PC with an ASROCK Z270 Killer SLI motherboard. However when I type the commands that you posted above into cmd (running as administrator), I get an error that states that the module failed to load, and that it could not be found.

    Is there anything I can do to fix this?

    Hi John,

    Just to check, are you having an issue with your Bluetooth?

    We're looking forward to your reply.

    Yes,

    There was a small update that came out earlier this week. After the update the bluetooth on my desktop no longer works. When I check on the bluetooth driver (Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth) in Device Manager, I get the same error that the original poster had. It says

    "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

    "STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE"

    I am also running driver software 19.41.0.1

    I am not able to connect any bluetooth enabled devices to the PC. I have not gotten this error before until the update that was downloaded and installed earlier this week. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver software, but it still gives the same error. I was hoping that since I have the same motherboard as the original poster I would be able to use the same solution that he did in order to make it work. It doesn't look like I have that file on my system though as when running the command posted above in the command prompt, as administrator, I get an error that states that the module "btmshellex.dll" failed to load and that the specified module could not be found.

    I don't think I am able to roll back from this update since it was not a major one.

    Any recommendations on what I can do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-11-12T00:22:49+00:00

    The issue is now resolved, though strangely it was not immediate after restarting.

    Thanks for the help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments