"Sorry, we couldn't connect to Microsoft services right now." message pops up when I try and add my account onto my Windows 8 computer

Anonymous
2017-10-08T17:23:09+00:00

Hi,

I recently got a computer from someone, with their Microsoft account still signed in on the computer. I have another laptop signed into a Microsoft account and would like this computer to be synced with it. I have tried several times to sign into my account under 'add account'. I entered my email address, and hit 'next', and a message popped up saying, "Sorry, we couldn't connect to Microsoft services right now." I am able to browse the internet, and my computer shows that I have a wireless network connected to it.

I would really appreciate any help I could get on this problem, because I only have trouble signing into my account on my computer's 'add an account' setting, and can sign into it on the internet fine.

Thanks in advance!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-10-12T23:09:16+00:00

I did a full refresh/restore and now the service is back running.  I think they fixed something on the "back end".  

Good luck to everyone.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-09-16T00:39:33+00:00

    I have been having the same issue and the whole situation is incredibly frustrating. I had to reset my surface tablet because it spontaneously started deleting some of my apps like music, video etc. and wasn’t allowing me to reinstall anything. I think it was doing this because my C drive was running low on space, even though I never save anything to it; I save everything to a mini SD card. I had this same problem 2 years ago and had to do the same thing.

    However this time after I reset it, it made me set everything up with a local account. So I made up some random name and password. Then I had to go through setting everything up again; backgrounds, pinned to start, device setting. Everything except my apps which I couldn’t access without my Microsoft account. All throughout this process, I kept trying to switch from the local account to my Microsoft account in my settings and I got the same message “Sorry we can’t connect…“. I tried constantly over a 48 hour period without success and after setting everything up, I found this forum page.

    The services.msc thing looked promising. Mine was on manual, I switched it to automatic and restarted the device. Same problem, nothing changed. I had to have my apps back, so I went to the store, tried signing into my account. I tried again to switch to a Microsoft account, which didn’t work. So I used the option at the bottom which says “Sign into each app separately instead (not recommended)”. This at least allowed me to see and reinstall all my apps one by one. Although it had not saved my progress in a game that I had for 2 years which was disappointing. It’s not ideal, but at least I can used my device the way I used to before.

    I’ve have always used Windows products, but it’s very disappointing when stuff like this happens. I’ve read about people who have had this problem for years and not received help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-09-17T12:40:28+00:00

    I am having the exact same problem.

    And I've tried the steps recommended. It's very frustrating cause I can't use the One Drive App that I use a lot. I had a problem with my hard-drive, bought a new one and reinstalled the laptop inbuilt windows 8 but from there on it wouldn't let me sign into my own account with the message: "Sorry we can't connect to Microsoft services at the moment. If this problem persists, search for "network problems" on the Start screen.

    There were no Network problems

    I also tried to switch the "Microsoft account sign-in assistant" from manual to automatic. That didn't change anything.

    They have to have an answer to this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-09-17T14:59:06+00:00

    Also the same problem. It seems as if it is a Microsoft Server problem, which will be solved in near future... hopefully.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-09-18T05:08:21+00:00

    I just reformatted my PC and had this issue right off the bat. Is this a Microsoft issue ? I was able to get WIndows 10 installed installed no issue but Windows 8.1 says sorry cant log into microsoft service ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments