Fixed - KB4058258 Requires a restart to finish installing

Anonymous
2018-02-01T11:59:40+00:00

I updated with this today but it says KB4058258 Requires a restart to finish installing

Any help?

Restarted about 4 times

windows 10 1709 build 16299.214

Edit: Fixed it by uninstalling and manually downloading and installing the patch

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-06T11:09:14+00:00

    Hello Kem

    Many thanks for this suggestion. The only troubleshooting I have carried out so far is to run dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth and sfc /verifyonly. Both come up clean, and dism reports image version 10.0.16299.214 i.e. the correct updated version despite the "requires reboot" notification. I will likely try a repair upgrade if the next CU also "fails" but am not keen to mess with a reasonably stable system before I have to, also as I understand it the repair upgrade will lose all non-store applications, which is inconvenient. I notice that Control Panel/Programs and Features/Installed Updates shows KB4058258 as installed, along with the "hidden" KB4074608 which does not show in settings installed update history. I see that KB4058258 makes "stability improvements for the Windows 10 Version 1709 servicing stack" and I wonder whether this may have a bearing on the issue with KB4058258.

    Best wishes...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-06T03:36:27+00:00

    If you have your Restore function on you can select a setting from before you made these changes and then, slowly, one by one, update and make sure everything is still working before doing a second update and so on.

    After an update is installed try doing a cold reboot/restart and make sure everything is still ticking along and then try the next.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-06T00:22:35+00:00

    Hello everyone, I've got the same problem here. Honestly... I think there might be so many people out there with this issue. Most of them probably do not understand what's going on and how to resolve it. I am also struggling with it and was not (yet) able to find a solution. (Maybe because I did not understand or did not dare to perform all of the suggested steps. Just some easier ones.) Don't you think MS should be able to provide a much more convenient (automated) fix for this for the 95% average Windows user???

    Also my computer keeps on crashing every few hours. Even or especially when I do not touch it at all. Could this be a side effect of this issue? Or is it more likely linked to any installed patches against Meltdown and Spectre? Or that I only just migrated to Windows 10? It's all in about the same time frame... so I don't know what could be the reason for the crashes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-05T19:04:53+00:00

    Ah, if only you had been reading my issues with this same update you would have been spared some work.

    But my profile (and all my threads) were temporarily on hiatus so, sadly, it was not available to you until a Community Moderator was able to address the issue today.

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-update-troubleshooter-cant-clear-the/8182cb0c-736e-4b26-b1cc-37ee4c5b4233

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-02-05T18:59:29+00:00

    Hi Michael,

    Have you tried the troubleshooting steps done by BrianGarw? If not, I recommend that you perform a repair upgrade and see if there are a any changes. To know how to perform a repair upgrade, kindly refer to the forum article entitled "How to: Perform a Repair Upgrade Using the Windows 10 ISO file".

    Let us know how it goes.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments