Fixed - KB4058258 Requires a restart to finish installing

Anonymous
2018-02-01T11:59:40+00:00

I updated with this today but it says KB4058258 Requires a restart to finish installing

Any help?

Restarted about 4 times

windows 10 1709 build 16299.214

Edit: Fixed it by uninstalling and manually downloading and installing the patch

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-12T13:44:29+00:00

    Is this update absolutely necessary? I followed all the steps to the letter, of all the solutions listed here in this thread, and Windows Update insists on installing KB4058258; that is, after rebooting post-install and then checking for updates.

    I've already spent more than 3 hours trying to resolve this issue, and I don't want to go through the hassle of making a restore point and backing up ALL programs unless I have to.  That kind of solution, to me, is effectively the same as reformatting the system drive.

    I've noticed no big, consistent issues over the past few weeks, having used my PC with this issue unresolved.  

    Thanks in advance for any info.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-11T03:36:28+00:00

    I tried this so many times it's useless and it's not working for me

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-09T18:39:43+00:00

    I highly recommend that you perform a repair upgrade. However, to prevent data loss, kindly create a restore point and backup all your files and applications to a removable storage device. To create a restore point, kindly follow these steps:

    1. On the search bar, type Create a restore point and hit Enter.
    2. Under System Protection tab, click on Create.
    3. Enter the description of the restore point and click Create > OK.

    For more information regarding on how to create a restore point, refer to the article entitled "Create a system restore point".

    To perform a repair upgrade, refer to the forum article entitled "How to: Perform a Repair Upgrade Using the Windows 10 ISO file".

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-08T12:47:55+00:00

    I downloaded it manually and also didn't work. For 3 days I tried to fix the issue but no chance! I have already, maybe 1000x, restarted my laptop... That's worry me up. Maybe there's something with this update .... I drop it down until the next update!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-02-06T12:58:22+00:00

    Here's the issue as I see it with this update (KB4058258) there is something that goes wrong when you download this Cumulative Update via the "Automatic Download" function in Windows.

    Everybody here (and I mean EVERYBODY) has found it much more satisfying to download this update from the Microsoft Update Catalog  https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4058258

    as a "Stand Alone Installer" (you save it to your Desktop like this:

    First you select the download you need for your device. Windows 10 or Windows Sever 2016 or whatever. This example happens to be the 32 bit installer:

    Now, you select the blue text there to get your options...save and so on:

    then you click the arrow next to save so that "save as" will show in your menu and then clicking that to download the installer like this:

    Once you have saved it to your Desktop (for easy location later) you wait for it to download, then run it, then reboot/restart to clear out the messages in Windows Update that will still be telling you to update it and you're all set.

    We hope.  🤞

    It works for most people, anyway.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments