Fixed - KB4058258 Requires a restart to finish installing

Anonymous
2018-02-01T11:59:40+00:00

I updated with this today but it says KB4058258 Requires a restart to finish installing

Any help?

Restarted about 4 times

windows 10 1709 build 16299.214

Edit: Fixed it by uninstalling and manually downloading and installing the patch

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-04T16:02:33+00:00

    Hi,

    same problem on my PC with older AMD Athlon CPU.

    Error code was 0x80070bc2 (ERROR_SUCCESS_REBOOT_REQUIRED).

    But applying update was a little more tricky.

    Could be solved as followed:

    1. Stop Windows Update service and deactivate it
    2. delete complete folder C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution
    3. Download update KB4058258 manually from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4058258
    4. disconnect / unplug from network
    5. reboot
    6. set Windows update service to start type "manually"
    7. install update manually with downloaded update file windows10.0-kb4058258-x64_xxxxxxxxxxxx.msu
    8. restart PC after installation is finished  (PC will start several times due to update procedure)

    8. after final restart login, windows key + I --> update & security --> Update History and check in list that KB4058258 is available with current installation date

    1. execute "winver" from command line
    2. check that build number now is 16299.214
    3. reconnect to network

    12. windows key + I --> update & security --> and search for updates: windows key + I --> update & security --> KB4058258 should not be offered again

    Regards

    Klaus

    Did not work for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-04T15:30:27+00:00

    I have been asked for a reply. I have not used the long-haired workaround, Klaus. Originally, i.e. late evening in Denmark (Feb3), the streamed TV program I was watching was having a bad time. So, I looked into the Update & Security panel in Settings. It was busily checking for updates and eventually found KB4058258, which it started downloading in smaller portions. This took a long time. When the RESTART NOW button appeared, I stopped everything else and complied. After some more time, and more than one restart, the computer got through all the tasks and I was back in business again after about 60-90 minutes altogether. I went back to the Update & Security panel to view Update History, but it was busily checking for updates again. Again, the RESTART NOW button appeared, so I shut down the computer and went to bed. This morning, I pressed the button after start-up and everything had apparently gone well. Looking today at the Update History information, there are 2 entries for KB4058258. The older one, where it failed, had error code 0x80240034, and the newer one was just normal 'successfully installed' info. That's it, folks! Regards, John

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-04T13:43:03+00:00

    Hi,

    same problem on my PC with older AMD Athlon CPU.

    Error code was 0x80070bc2 (ERROR_SUCCESS_REBOOT_REQUIRED).

    But applying update was a little more tricky.

    Could be solved as followed:

    1. Stop Windows Update service and deactivate it
    2. delete complete folder C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution
    3. Download update KB4058258 manually from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4058258
    4. disconnect / unplug from network
    5. reboot
    6. set Windows update service to start type "manually"
    7. install update manually with downloaded update file windows10.0-kb4058258-x64_xxxxxxxxxxxx.msu
    8. restart PC after installation is finished  (PC will start several times due to update procedure)

    8. after final restart login, windows key + I --> update & security --> Update History and check in list that KB4058258 is available with current installation date

    1. execute "winver" from command line
    2. check that build number now is 16299.214
    3. reconnect to network

    12. windows key + I --> update & security --> and search for updates: windows key + I --> update & security --> KB4058258 should not be offered again

    Regards

    Klaus

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-01T13:22:09+00:00

    Hi,

    We're glad to know that you were able to resolve your issue with installing the KB4058258 update. If in case you'll need additional assistance with your Microsoft products and services, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments