Fixed - KB4058258 Requires a restart to finish installing

Anonymous
2018-02-01T11:59:40+00:00

I updated with this today but it says KB4058258 Requires a restart to finish installing

Any help?

Restarted about 4 times

windows 10 1709 build 16299.214

Edit: Fixed it by uninstalling and manually downloading and installing the patch

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-05T18:59:29+00:00

    Hi Michael,

    Have you tried the troubleshooting steps done by BrianGarw? If not, I recommend that you perform a repair upgrade and see if there are a any changes. To know how to perform a repair upgrade, kindly refer to the forum article entitled "How to: Perform a Repair Upgrade Using the Windows 10 ISO file".

    Let us know how it goes.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-05T18:54:39+00:00

    We are glad to hear that your PC now is working fine. If you have any further queries in the future, don't hesitate to create a thread here in the community. We will do our best to help you out.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-04T22:29:29+00:00

    This seems a real pain. It has happened on one of my devices (6-year old Core i5) and I'm afraid I am just leaving it to see if the next CU behaves itself. Meanwhile the OS version is shown as correctly updated (16299.214) and the update status is shown as "up to date" even though the entry in update history is still requesting a restart. I've left feedback via the Hub suggesting it would be nice if the status of such an update could be reported unambiguously.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-02-04T15:30:27+00:00

    I have been asked for a reply. I have not used the long-haired workaround, Klaus. Originally, i.e. late evening in Denmark (Feb3), the streamed TV program I was watching was having a bad time. So, I looked into the Update & Security panel in Settings. It was busily checking for updates and eventually found KB4058258, which it started downloading in smaller portions. This took a long time. When the RESTART NOW button appeared, I stopped everything else and complied. After some more time, and more than one restart, the computer got through all the tasks and I was back in business again after about 60-90 minutes altogether. I went back to the Update & Security panel to view Update History, but it was busily checking for updates again. Again, the RESTART NOW button appeared, so I shut down the computer and went to bed. This morning, I pressed the button after start-up and everything had apparently gone well. Looking today at the Update History information, there are 2 entries for KB4058258. The older one, where it failed, had error code 0x80240034, and the newer one was just normal 'successfully installed' info. That's it, folks! Regards, John

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments