Windows-10-update-KB4088776

Anonymous
2018-03-14T22:41:29+00:00

Windows-10-update-KB4088776, loads Version 1709, Build 16299.309; however, the same update downloads again and then fails over and over again. This is the same problem with the last update (build 16299.248. This occurs over and over creating a permanent loop. Please fix it.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Greg Carmack 24,780 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2018-03-14T23:20:36+00:00

Hi Billy. I'm Greg, an installation specialist and 8 year Windows MVP, here to help you.

There's a lot of turmoil with Windows Updates right now.

If it is interfering or you don't want to wait then there is a new guided walk-through from Microsoft for repairing Windows Update that leads up to resetting components if necessary: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/.... Try running that first.

You can try installing Updates manually from Microsoft Update catalog by searching for them here: http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search....

If Updates cause problems you can find out which one by checking at Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Installed Update History and uninstall them there.

You can block Windows Updates and Version Updates: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/block-unwanted-wi...

You can also install this tool to tell you exactly your level of protection needed for the CPU threat that has lately caused some disruption, how it may affect performance, and what you can do about it: https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

You can get more control over Windows Updates with some new features in the last two versions at Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update under Restart Options and set Active Hours when you don't' want to be bothered.

As a last resort, you can set a Metered Connection or disable Windows Update service and only install the Version Updates twice a year when you are ready via the most stable method - which isn't Windows Update anyway, but by running it from Media Creation Tool or the media it creates: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/m.... All previous Updates are rolled up in the Version Update.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Greg Carmack 24,780 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2018-03-15T00:22:28+00:00

Hi Billy -

I appreciate what you're saying and hope you'll take a minute to express your opinion on this to Microsoft use the Feedback Hub app in Start Menu where developers are tasked to process consumer feedback. They will not even see it here. This is a tech forums staffed mostly by volunteers trying to help others with your problems.

I don't remember any of this turmoil during six years of smooth sailing in Forums with Windows 7 which was by comparison a delight. For far too many consumers this WIndows Updating is hostage taking and something will have to give.

That said, I also don't see many complaints from those running this Clean Install compiled based on what has worked best all along in Windows 10. So you might want to look it over to see if it's something that interests you. It is a better install than any amount of money can buy and a great learning experience that will make you the master of your PC because you will learn what works best and how to apply it with your own hands.

I hope this helps. Thanks for caring.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-20T00:52:00+00:00

    and some of us have to pay for data - nothing like wasted money for having to download something over and over again

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-20T00:46:00+00:00

    it s so praqctical tools

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-20T00:40:35+00:00

    Hi rpwalle,

           Frustrated, you can say that again!    Point I was trying to make is that while one is trying to sort out the problem there is a barrage of repeat downloads of the failed Update.  I have spent more effort at this than is reasonable and Microsoft seem to shrug their shoulders and say "Do a Clean Install" after their Help Desk fails 5 times to install an Update.   One would think they would be at least as interested as I am at finding the cause and fixing it.   Well they were not, so the next month I am faced with the same problem exactly as I suspected could occur.

          I have just downloaded the latest image from Microsoft to run a full Upgrade Install and guess what, even after allowing the inclusion of Updates as part of the initial process I have ended up with the build before the one I am trying to Upgrade.  I wanted 16229.309 and what I got is 16299.125.  They do not tell you what the build is prior to download with the Media Selection Tool so on top of the struggle to get the B Update installed I have wasted time yet again on a pointless exercise because of material Microsoft seem to lazy to keep updated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments