GTA: Vice City problem on Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2017-05-21T21:30:14+00:00

I have checked the forums already and can't find a solution to my problem.  I'm not very technical and this will show.  My PC is only 3 years old.  Here goes:

I played Vice City on this PC two years ago.  It then stopped working (the game would start up fine but when I went to start/load a game the pink bar just sat there and the game crashed).  So I decided to buy it from Steam.  Same exact problem.

I tried everything I could come up with... opened some DEP thing and made it open Vice City. 

I tried every single compatibility setting available. 

Added "run as administrator"

I tried to change my own screen resolution but it can't go that low (640X480).

So now the game won't even start, I get the common issue that says "Cannot find 640X480 video mode".

I've watched Youtube videos and checked this forum (including Steam's) and cannot find a solution. 

I don't understand why this game would have worked 2 years ago but not now.

I'm desperate to play.  Please help me.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-05-28T16:44:50+00:00

    Since you have made sure that all drivers are updated and the issue is still the same, we can try to uninstall the program then install it back again using a different installation media or source.

    Do update us on how it works after you uninstall and installed it back again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-05-25T21:06:50+00:00

    Please please please help me, I'm losing it here.  I have literally spent hours now trying to find a solution.  I'm not very tech-savvy so it just makes this all that much harder.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-05-23T20:33:29+00:00

    Thank you for responding.  I updated my driver, and all of my updates are done.  Now when I attempt to play my screen goes dark but nothing happens.  No sound, nothing to see.  I push my Windows button and finally the game crashes.  Things are changing but I still can't play!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-05-23T09:14:40+00:00

    As you have checked the related thread on this issue and it is still the same, we suggest that you update the display drivers. Here's how:

    1. Press Windows Key + X and click Device Manager.
    2. Expand Display Adapter.
    3. Locate the display driver.
    4. Right-click on the display card listed and click on Update Driver Software.

    We also recommend that you install any pending updates on your PC. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or resolve issues and improve how your computer works.

    Do not hesitate to post back for further concerns.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-05-22T19:55:58+00:00

    Sorry, I already searched the forum for answers.  Like I said, I already tried to change compatibility.  From the page you sent me I jumped into this one:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15078/windows-make-older-programs-compatible

    Nothing on this list is working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments