GTA: Vice City problem on Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2017-05-21T21:30:14+00:00

I have checked the forums already and can't find a solution to my problem.  I'm not very technical and this will show.  My PC is only 3 years old.  Here goes:

I played Vice City on this PC two years ago.  It then stopped working (the game would start up fine but when I went to start/load a game the pink bar just sat there and the game crashed).  So I decided to buy it from Steam.  Same exact problem.

I tried everything I could come up with... opened some DEP thing and made it open Vice City. 

I tried every single compatibility setting available. 

Added "run as administrator"

I tried to change my own screen resolution but it can't go that low (640X480).

So now the game won't even start, I get the common issue that says "Cannot find 640X480 video mode".

I've watched Youtube videos and checked this forum (including Steam's) and cannot find a solution. 

I don't understand why this game would have worked 2 years ago but not now.

I'm desperate to play.  Please help me.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-06-04T11:48:41+00:00

    We have tried several troubleshooting steps to get this issue resolved. However, since it is still the same, we suggest that you reinstall Windows 8.1 on your PC.

    Follow the steps on this article. You will be able to see detailed information on how to refresh, reset and restore your PC. Read carefully the reminders before you do the steps on the link in the article.

    Update us on how it goes or feel free to post back for any other inquiries.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-06-01T19:21:00+00:00

    Took a long time, and I have nothing to show for it.  Same exact problem.  Please help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-06-01T12:03:44+00:00

    Since you purchased it from a retailer and you were unable to use uninstall and reinstall using a different installation media or source, you can create a new user account instead. This issue can be due to a corrupted user profile. Here's a link on how to create a user account in Windows. Follow the steps under Windows 8.1.

    Feel free to post back for the results after creating a new user account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-06-01T04:12:36+00:00

    I got this game two weeks ago and I have yet to play a single second.  Please help me!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-05-29T03:08:04+00:00

    I uninstalled/re-installed it a few days ago.  I got it from Steam, so I'm unsure about how I would go about using a different installation media or source.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments