GTA: Vice City problem on Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2017-05-21T21:30:14+00:00

I have checked the forums already and can't find a solution to my problem.  I'm not very technical and this will show.  My PC is only 3 years old.  Here goes:

I played Vice City on this PC two years ago.  It then stopped working (the game would start up fine but when I went to start/load a game the pink bar just sat there and the game crashed).  So I decided to buy it from Steam.  Same exact problem.

I tried everything I could come up with... opened some DEP thing and made it open Vice City. 

I tried every single compatibility setting available. 

Added "run as administrator"

I tried to change my own screen resolution but it can't go that low (640X480).

So now the game won't even start, I get the common issue that says "Cannot find 640X480 video mode".

I've watched Youtube videos and checked this forum (including Steam's) and cannot find a solution. 

I don't understand why this game would have worked 2 years ago but not now.

I'm desperate to play.  Please help me.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-08-01T18:40:58+00:00

    To attach pictures on the community thread, please follow the steps below:

    • Click on the Reply button.
    • On the buttons above where you type your message, click on the Insert Image button (The second to the last icon on the right side).
    • Once the Upload window pops-up, click on the Browse button.
    • On the File Explorer window, select the picture you want to attach then click Open.
    • Then click on Upload.

    We hope to hear from you soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-08-01T15:29:10+00:00

    Hello,

    Aside from the troubleshooting steps provided above, we also suggest running the program in Compatibility mode. You can click on this link to learn more. This article contains different methods that you can try to launch the game successfully in Windows 8.1.

    Should you have further questions, please let us know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-07-31T01:50:15+00:00

    I'm not too technical.  I know how to do a print screen and save it to like a Word or Paint file and send it to someone.  But not how to, like, put it in a message here.  Would I just paste a screenshot right here in this reply space?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-07-27T17:53:06+00:00

    To address your question, we would like to ask for a screenshot of the options that you have on the Services tab under System Configuration. This is to properly disable the items that is unnecessary on startup.

    We are looking forward to your reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-07-26T02:42:35+00:00

    I’m sorry to keep pestering you guys with questions.  Just a quick one. 

    On step 5 of the clean boot for Windows 8.1, it says to disable each startup item.  How do I know which ones are startup ones?  Is it just all of the ones listed?  Or ones that say Microsoft?

    I will do the clean boot, I just want to do it right.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments