I’m sorry I haven’t replied, I didn’t get an email telling me I got a response to my earlier question. This is in reference to what Jefferson Ore suggested I do. He told me to go to Startup in that menu and uncheck all of the items. And I said I only see “open task manager” there. Here is the screenshot:
GTA: Vice City problem on Windows 8.1
I have checked the forums already and can't find a solution to my problem. I'm not very technical and this will show. My PC is only 3 years old. Here goes:
I played Vice City on this PC two years ago. It then stopped working (the game would start up fine but when I went to start/load a game the pink bar just sat there and the game crashed). So I decided to buy it from Steam. Same exact problem.
I tried everything I could come up with... opened some DEP thing and made it open Vice City.
I tried every single compatibility setting available.
Added "run as administrator"
I tried to change my own screen resolution but it can't go that low (640X480).
So now the game won't even start, I get the common issue that says "Cannot find 640X480 video mode".
I've watched Youtube videos and checked this forum (including Steam's) and cannot find a solution.
I don't understand why this game would have worked 2 years ago but not now.
I'm desperate to play. Please help me.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
41 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2017-08-21T20:16:10+00:00 -
Anonymous
2017-08-10T21:16:09+00:00 Good day,
There are several reasons why you are experiencing this issue and that's what we are going to figure out. This type of problem normally happens when there's a hardware failure or a software change made on the computer prior to this issue. To better help you with this concern, can you send us a screenshot of what you are seeing on the Startup tab? Make sure that you remove all personal information.
-
Anonymous
2017-08-07T19:57:45+00:00 When I go to Startup it only asks if I want to go to the task manager, nothing else is listed under that, nothing for me to uncheck. The task manager makes me wary of using it because otherwise I feel like I could just do the control-alt-delete and go there instead of finding it through searching for msconfig, etc.
-
Anonymous
2017-08-06T15:17:34+00:00 To narrow down the things that we can disable, click on the Startup tab and uncheck all the items on the window then click OK. Another window will pop-up asking you to restart. Just choose Save changes and restart.
After rebooting, launch the game and see if the same error will occur.
If you have further questions, please let us know.