GTA: Vice City problem on Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2017-05-21T21:30:14+00:00

I have checked the forums already and can't find a solution to my problem.  I'm not very technical and this will show.  My PC is only 3 years old.  Here goes:

I played Vice City on this PC two years ago.  It then stopped working (the game would start up fine but when I went to start/load a game the pink bar just sat there and the game crashed).  So I decided to buy it from Steam.  Same exact problem.

I tried everything I could come up with... opened some DEP thing and made it open Vice City. 

I tried every single compatibility setting available. 

Added "run as administrator"

I tried to change my own screen resolution but it can't go that low (640X480).

So now the game won't even start, I get the common issue that says "Cannot find 640X480 video mode".

I've watched Youtube videos and checked this forum (including Steam's) and cannot find a solution. 

I don't understand why this game would have worked 2 years ago but not now.

I'm desperate to play.  Please help me.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-07-20T22:10:09+00:00

    Hello,

    Performing clean boot will help you determine if there are background applications affecting your computer performance or in this case, when you are launching your app. Simply follow the steps on how to perform a clean boot in this article for further troubleshooting.

    You can always go back and run all of the applications again on start up if the same issue occurs after the clean boot.

    If you have further questions, please let us know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-07-20T02:02:48+00:00

    I won't lie, this sounds intimidating.  Will my PC get messed up doing this?  I don't want to lose my computer to play one game...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-07-14T20:59:30+00:00

    Have you considered doing a clean boot procedure for this issue? A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install and run a program or even an update. To begin doing this, kindly click the link below. This link provides you with clean boot procedure not only for Windows 8.1, but for other Windows operating systems as well.

    How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

    Let us know the result for us to assist you further.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-07-13T04:57:59+00:00

    My guess is you haven't read earlier replies or even the subject of my problem.  I am currently talking with the manufacturer, still no answers.  Also, like my subject states, I have Windows 8.1 and do not have Cortana.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-07-12T18:54:29+00:00

    Thank you for your response. You may go ahead and visit the game manufacturer's support site to get the most updated version of this game. You can also get the most expert solution from their own support team to make this game work again to your current computer system.

    You can post this concern and raise it to our Feedback hub for our developers and engineers to work on a fix in a form of an update.

    In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:

    1. Search for “Feedback Hub” in Cortana search, then launch the app.
    2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
    3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
    4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you’re done.
    5. Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
    6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
    7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).
    8. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.
    9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response.

    Feel free to post should you need further assistance.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments