GTA: Vice City problem on Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2017-05-21T21:30:14+00:00

I have checked the forums already and can't find a solution to my problem.  I'm not very technical and this will show.  My PC is only 3 years old.  Here goes:

I played Vice City on this PC two years ago.  It then stopped working (the game would start up fine but when I went to start/load a game the pink bar just sat there and the game crashed).  So I decided to buy it from Steam.  Same exact problem.

I tried everything I could come up with... opened some DEP thing and made it open Vice City. 

I tried every single compatibility setting available. 

Added "run as administrator"

I tried to change my own screen resolution but it can't go that low (640X480).

So now the game won't even start, I get the common issue that says "Cannot find 640X480 video mode".

I've watched Youtube videos and checked this forum (including Steam's) and cannot find a solution. 

I don't understand why this game would have worked 2 years ago but not now.

I'm desperate to play.  Please help me.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-07-10T23:25:58+00:00

    I appreciate the pictures, but like I said, I already tried that.  So many times.  Thanks for the help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-07-04T15:27:10+00:00

    Thank you for your response. You may also try to run the Compatibility mode for this game. Try running it first to your current Windows version 8.1 all the way through Windows Vista or XP. Since this game was introduced way back 2002, chances are the resolution settings may no longer be compatible to newer Windows system. However, it may work if your going to run Compatibility mode. Here are the steps:

    1. Right click on the game icon.
    2. Select Properties.
    3. Click on the Compatibility tab.
    4. Put a check on the Run this program in compatibility mode for:

    1. Click the drop down to choose what Windows version you wish to try.
    2. You may also try putting a check on the Reduce color mode and also see if it will allow you to put a check on the Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution.

    1. If it doesn't, you may just continue trying the compatibility mode all the way to Windows XP and see if this will fix the issue.
    2. Don't forget to click OK and then Apply for the changes to take effect.

    Feel free to post the result.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-06-29T14:16:28+00:00

    Thank you for your response. You may search the web and look for the GTA Vice City support. It is a 3rd party company and has their own online support for GTA Vice City games. They may also have a telephone line where you could speak to their live support team. 

    Feel free to post should you need further assistance.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-06-29T02:20:13+00:00

    I've definitely tried that too.  It's what makes this so frustrating: it did work before, 2 years ago on this exact same computer.  I changed no settings before I tried to play it again.

    I'm sorry, this is an ignorant question, but when you say I can contact the support team of GTA Vice City, do you mean on this website?

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-06-28T19:20:28+00:00

    Thank you for your response. You can access the game settings of GTA Vice City and reduce the color mode to 16 bit and the resolution to 640x480. Try to check if this will resolve the issue. If not, you may contact the support team of GTA Vice City and check with them the correct settings that you should have for it to work with your Windows 8.1 computer.

    Feel free to post should you need further assistance.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments