Disable Virtual Agent

Anonymous
2017-07-04T19:00:34+00:00

I find the Virtual Agent too intrusive. How can I disable it?

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Cortana & search / PC)

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-07-06T17:46:40+00:00

We appreciate the details that you guys provided.

Regarding your concern, the Try the Virtual Agent (PREVIEW) button is a feature and part of the web page that Microsoft provided to the users in case we need extra assistance. It is part of the design of the web page and there's no option to disable it.

If you would like, you can submit feedback or suggestion using the Feedback Hub. You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue or idea. When you submit a feedback item we gather additional details and information about your concern and address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.

In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:

  1. On a Windows 10 device, search for Feedback Hub in Cortanasearch, then launch the app.
  2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
  3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
  4. If possible, reproduce the problem after clicking Begin monitoring, or Start capture near the end of the form. Stop monitoring when you’re done.
  5. Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
  6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
  7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted.
  8. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.
  9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/ link>).

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

59 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-31T22:06:10+00:00

    the virtual agent on my screen is not labeled Cortana so it is probably Ask Microsoft.   The problem is that I don't want it on my screen blocking the text behind it that I want to read.  So, 'how can I get rid of it?, Remove it, Hide it, or whatever. 

    Incidentally, I've attempted to use the virtual agent in the past and it was a waste of time.  Don't ask for detail on that because I'm not in a position to provide consulting on product development for that product.    I would just like it not to intrude on my screen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-01T10:37:04+00:00

    Other then adblock the only way I've found to get rid of it is to right click on it, "inspect element" , right click on the highlighted element and  select "delete node". Then close the inspector. It only takes a sec to do. You'll have to repeat that next time your there but it's simple and gets it out of the way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-10T21:46:04+00:00

    I recently got this virtual agent preview as well. However it appeared not in a web browser, but a tray notification. If this is some sort of attempt to reactivate cortana, then I will be very very mad. I intentionally removed nearly everything extra that came on this PC because it does one thing and one thing only. Play video games and that is absolutly it. I have a LINUX computer for everything else, because Microsoft Windows is worthless beyond games and that is far more then just an opinion.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments