Disable Virtual Agent

Anonymous
2017-07-04T19:00:34+00:00

I find the Virtual Agent too intrusive. How can I disable it?

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Cortana & search / PC)

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-07-06T17:46:40+00:00

We appreciate the details that you guys provided.

Regarding your concern, the Try the Virtual Agent (PREVIEW) button is a feature and part of the web page that Microsoft provided to the users in case we need extra assistance. It is part of the design of the web page and there's no option to disable it.

If you would like, you can submit feedback or suggestion using the Feedback Hub. You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue or idea. When you submit a feedback item we gather additional details and information about your concern and address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.

In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:

  1. On a Windows 10 device, search for Feedback Hub in Cortanasearch, then launch the app.
  2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
  3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
  4. If possible, reproduce the problem after clicking Begin monitoring, or Start capture near the end of the form. Stop monitoring when you’re done.
  5. Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
  6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
  7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted.
  8. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.
  9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/ link>).

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

59 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-14T16:47:38+00:00

    I keep reading posts about this is only in IE.  It is not.  It is on my desktop with no IE browser open at all.  I did updates and rebooted my machine and now I have this think I NEVER ASKED FOR pestering me from my tray.  I want it removed, ripped out by the roots if necessary.  How do I uninstall it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-14T17:46:54+00:00

    Now let's be clear. Are you talking about CORTANA?

    Or about Microsoft's Virtual Agent?

    They ARE two different things, Robert. And the difference that would interest you is that you can actually turn Cortana Off.

    You can't uninstall her but she will no longer be functioning or visible to you.

    • Cortana is part of the Windows 10 experience in the locales where she is available. This means Cortana can't be entirely turned off. For Cortana to work well, she needs to be integrated into the operating system. If you don’t want this functionality available to you follow these steps to hide Cortana from the taskbar:
    • Right-click (or press and hold) the search box, hover over Cortana, and then select Hidden from the side menu. This will also remove the search box from your taskbar. We don’t recommend hacking registry settings or similar measures as this can make your operating system unstable or crash.
    • You can review and control exactly what personal information Cortana can access by clicking into the search box and selecting Settings Gear-shaped Settings icon on the left pane. You can also search "Cortana settings" in the search box on the taskbar, and select Cortana & Search settings from the results.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-14T17:52:06+00:00

    Mostly I haven't been responding to you see the "in reply to" section at the top of each post.

    Although the rules are to only respond to the OP (that would be Ken Malkin on this thread) we occasionally answer questions posted by others.

    As I am doing with you now.

    I suggest you go to your Profile Page and unsubscribe from this thread to stop the emails.

    FYI: It is the Microsoft Community Website that sends out the emails. Not us.

    I don't know anyone's email address.

    These are hidden for your protection.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-14T18:24:19+00:00

    Thanks for your response. 

    In your response you mention:

    "I suggest you go to your Profile Page and unsubscribe from this thread to stop the emails".

    I would like to do that but I can't find anything like that. Where is the "unsubscribe from this thread" button?

    I'm quite serious. I simply can't find a way to escape from this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments