Windows 10 keeps changing my default programs

Anonymous
2017-07-17T19:36:54+00:00

Windows 10 keeps changing my default pdf program from Adobe Acrobat to Microsoft Edge. 

Please don't tell me to set my default program in control panel - I do that weekly.

Please don't tell me to do the "OpenWith" registry hack - I've done that, and it did work, until the next major Windows 10 update. Obviously, someone at Microsoft found out about that one.

I have also tried running another hack, that works for a while, but after a few days, I see that ANNOYING edge icon on my pdf files, and have to go back into control panel and change everything back.

It's really annoying, because, it's MY computer. I paid for it, and it included my O/S license - it is MY decision to use Adobe Acrobat for pdf files, not Microsoft's.

Please note that we also have a laptop where this issue NEVER occurs.

I know i'm not the only one out there where this still occurs even after setting the default and running the registry hack.

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization)

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

64 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T21:28:53+00:00

    Correct Hydrlogic!  Win10 wants to do EVERYTHING for you and it's partly because of lazy users that put up with it.  I don't need a talking assistant to do everything for me.  If I want new pictures or wallpaper, I will download them.  The best and most stable system MS had was XP and it's no longer supported, I wonder why?  (Sarcasm), I know why, they wanted more control.  USERS OF THE WORLD TAKE BACK YOUR COMPUTERS, after all we paid for them and the system that runs them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T22:07:48+00:00

    I agree, Windows and MS Office reached their peak in XP.  Since then it has just been a slow decline downhill.  They constantly keep changing things that were carefully designed with a GUI that considered usability, logic and efficiency.  They feel that they need to change things and make them look different so they can get people to buy the new version to keep their revenue stream going.  Unfortunately, when you needlessly change a product that is finished, you can only screw it up.

    It takes twice as long to do things in Excel and Word as it did 5 years ago.  The whole ribbon menu system is the poster child for poor programming and the flagship of anti-user GUI development that we see so often today.  Instead of screwing up their existing programs, why don't they try developing something new.  When a building is finished, a designer moves on to a new building.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T22:47:54+00:00

    looks fibe but you late. where have yiu been when i get suffer by the siftware? any way thank you fir help

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more