I have the same problem. MS doesn't ask me if I want to change the default app, it just gives me a message that it has. I also think it very "bigbrother" of MS to only give default program options as "the MS app" or "MS store". Why can't I just run my computer as I wish and not as MS does. I'm on metered BW and every month I go over because of MS. I go to data usage and it's right there where MS has used my BW to make useless upgrades. New pretty pictures and other crap. I don't use half of what is on Win10, but I can't get rid of it unless I get rid of Win10. Hey there's an idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Windows 10 keeps changing my default programs
Windows 10 keeps changing my default pdf program from Adobe Acrobat to Microsoft Edge.
Please don't tell me to set my default program in control panel - I do that weekly.
Please don't tell me to do the "OpenWith" registry hack - I've done that, and it did work, until the next major Windows 10 update. Obviously, someone at Microsoft found out about that one.
I have also tried running another hack, that works for a while, but after a few days, I see that ANNOYING edge icon on my pdf files, and have to go back into control panel and change everything back.
It's really annoying, because, it's MY computer. I paid for it, and it included my O/S license - it is MY decision to use Adobe Acrobat for pdf files, not Microsoft's.
Please note that we also have a laptop where this issue NEVER occurs.
I know i'm not the only one out there where this still occurs even after setting the default and running the registry hack.
Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization)
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
64 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
-
Anonymous
2018-03-26T20:50:48+00:00 -
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
-
Anonymous
2018-03-26T21:08:44+00:00 I have the best evidence that you can get. It is Microsofts' program that is doing it. Windows 10 throws up a popup announcing that it is changing the default programs, and then it does it. There is no secret there. Windows 10 tells me that it is going to do it, and then it does.
-
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more