This is not an isolated issue. I have encountered numerous people that have the exact same problem. I have to reset MY defaults back to MY selection several times a day. But, Microsoft resets them back to THEIR choices every couple of hours. It is not just with Adobe PDF Pro, it is with several other default settings also. Its driving everyone in my company crazy. We have finally set up a test group to see if we can move over to a Linux system. We don't really want to move the company out of Windows, but Microsoft has not left us with much of a choice. We do high end computer modeling, so we are constantly updating and replacing our computers with faster machines. This extremely annoying problem, along with the licensing issues and headaches with moving windows 10 to a new machine has finally forced us to seek a new operating system.
Windows 10 keeps changing my default programs
Windows 10 keeps changing my default pdf program from Adobe Acrobat to Microsoft Edge.
Please don't tell me to set my default program in control panel - I do that weekly.
Please don't tell me to do the "OpenWith" registry hack - I've done that, and it did work, until the next major Windows 10 update. Obviously, someone at Microsoft found out about that one.
I have also tried running another hack, that works for a while, but after a few days, I see that ANNOYING edge icon on my pdf files, and have to go back into control panel and change everything back.
It's really annoying, because, it's MY computer. I paid for it, and it included my O/S license - it is MY decision to use Adobe Acrobat for pdf files, not Microsoft's.
Please note that we also have a laptop where this issue NEVER occurs.
I know i'm not the only one out there where this still occurs even after setting the default and running the registry hack.
Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization)
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
64 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2018-03-26T15:34:23+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-03-26T15:55:05+00:00 Groove Music came with Windows 10 - never tried to uninstall it, so I haven't bothered. It's fine as a music player. I'm sure that if I uninstall it, it will just get reinstalled with subsequent updates.
Yes - Windows DID uninstall Malwarebytes. It occurred on February 10th with one of the major updates - i believe the creators update - not sure which one it was. When I reinstalled it - the settings showed last scan February 10. That was the date of the Windows update. So yes - Windows DID uninstall it.
With Windows Defender - I don't want it. I have a Norton subscription. In the past - before Windows updates were mandatory, I was able to disable it. The setting is now grayed out.
-
Anonymous
2018-03-26T15:58:48+00:00 Tom,
The issue may not be an isolated one but I do assure you Windows does not willfully change your default programs. I use a non Windows app for zip files (7Zip) and Windows 10 has never suggested I reset it to any preferred version they may happen to have.
I use a non-windows app for video files (Videolan's VLC Media Player) and Windows has never reset that either.
The same goes for my default music player (iTunes) Windows has never attempted to change it either.
That you (and some others) have an issue of some kind is clear.
But it isn't Microsoft that is causing it.
-
Anonymous
2018-03-26T16:05:34+00:00 Charles - I know you think that Windows is not changing the default programs to their "Suggested" programs - but it is. How else can you explain that when the default of ONE type of file changes (.mp3, for example), then all .pdf files, and video files using VLC get changed. It's the OS.
-
Anonymous
2018-03-26T16:11:23+00:00 If that were the case it would be happening on everyone's computers (including mine) and it simply isn't. Your issues are mostly likely being caused by some of your Third Party Apps (or the way you are setting them up).
If what you are referring to are the icons on each file may I suggest that you simply open the preferred program YOU wish to use and then open the file you want?)
It will still access or play the pdf or media no matter what the icon looks like.