Windows 10 keeps changing my default programs

Anonymous
2017-07-17T19:36:54+00:00

Windows 10 keeps changing my default pdf program from Adobe Acrobat to Microsoft Edge. 

Please don't tell me to set my default program in control panel - I do that weekly.

Please don't tell me to do the "OpenWith" registry hack - I've done that, and it did work, until the next major Windows 10 update. Obviously, someone at Microsoft found out about that one.

I have also tried running another hack, that works for a while, but after a few days, I see that ANNOYING edge icon on my pdf files, and have to go back into control panel and change everything back.

It's really annoying, because, it's MY computer. I paid for it, and it included my O/S license - it is MY decision to use Adobe Acrobat for pdf files, not Microsoft's.

Please note that we also have a laptop where this issue NEVER occurs.

I know i'm not the only one out there where this still occurs even after setting the default and running the registry hack.

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization)

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

64 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T00:48:12+00:00

    By the way...after you read my prior response let me stress once again that Microsoft is NOT trying to force you or anyone else to use their pdf reader.

    Adobe is perfectly acceptable.

    Hopefully you have downloaded it from https://get.adobe.com/reader/

    and not from any third party website.

    I use it constantly, as I said. I can't stand the Reader in Edge.

    My version of Windows?

    This one:  

    And as I said, I have never had an issue with Windows trying to change my program.

    So why don't all of you guys cut the Conspiracy Nonsense?

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T14:15:38+00:00

    Of course I reinstalled Adobe Reader. Since the issue does not occur on my laptop, which has an older version of Adobe, I even tried that version. Issue still occurred.

    If you read my subsequent post, you will note that I discovered the issue lies within WinZip - I receive multiple zip files with mp3 files. Those .mp3 files do not come with the newer default music player - "Groove Music" as their default player. So, when files are extracted, Windows changes their default player - and as a result, also changes every other file on the PC that is not using the Microsoft default - including changing pdf files to use Edge. I searched through the registry looking for something that would change the default file WITHIN WinZip, but could not find anything. I purchased WinRAR, and no longer have the issue. (Note - yes, I also tried changing the default music player back to Windows Media Player before changing to WinRAR, but that resets with every Windows update. So WinRAR solved it for me.)

    So, now that my files are being extracted with WinRAR, nothing is "triggering" a change to my .pdf files. Sure, it's still an issue that Microsoft SHOULD fix, but at least I'm not having to reset my default files anymore.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T14:17:28+00:00

    There is nothing wrong with my profile; and until I replace my PC, I'm not touching it because of how Windows 10 is locked down.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T14:21:52+00:00

    Well - it may or may not be a conspiracy - but, it does occur; and you can see by other responses that I WAS NOT ALONE with the issue.

    More on the conspiracy - why can't we uninstall the horrible Microsoft Edge browser? Why are settings suddenly unavailable to change on Windows Defender? Why did a recent update of Windows 10 uninstall Malwarebytes?

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T15:19:51+00:00

    You're obviously not alone in thinking Windows is doing this but I can assure you it isn't.

    As for "Groove Music" why don't you just do what I did and uninstall it?

    You do that in PowerShell, you know. You have to open PowerShell with Admin privileges, (in a elevated mode, as they call it.  Then you just type (or copy and paste) this instruction:

    Get-AppxPackage *zunemusic* | Remove-AppxPackage

    in PowerShell, hit enter, and voila! It is gone.

    Windows 10 did not uninstall Malwarebytes. I've never seen any use for that program myself but other users are quite fond of it for some inexplicable reason. I use the free Windows Defender Security Center. I did test Malwarebytes once just to see what thrilled others so much but it didn't detect anything on my computer, which was the result that Windows Defender had already given me, so I removed it.

    But to each his/her own on that.

    What "settings" are unavailable on Windows Defender?

    Over to you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments