Microsoft, please get over your arrogance and stop making changes to our defaults. At least give us a prompt and an chance to tell you NO, do not change it. These are my preferences not yours.
Windows 10 keeps changing my default programs
Windows 10 keeps changing my default pdf program from Adobe Acrobat to Microsoft Edge.
Please don't tell me to set my default program in control panel - I do that weekly.
Please don't tell me to do the "OpenWith" registry hack - I've done that, and it did work, until the next major Windows 10 update. Obviously, someone at Microsoft found out about that one.
I have also tried running another hack, that works for a while, but after a few days, I see that ANNOYING edge icon on my pdf files, and have to go back into control panel and change everything back.
It's really annoying, because, it's MY computer. I paid for it, and it included my O/S license - it is MY decision to use Adobe Acrobat for pdf files, not Microsoft's.
Please note that we also have a laptop where this issue NEVER occurs.
I know i'm not the only one out there where this still occurs even after setting the default and running the registry hack.
Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization)
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
64 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
-
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
-
Anonymous
2018-02-19T17:48:20+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-03-10T14:26:24+00:00 Likewise at work we've started to use Nitro PDF instead of Adobe for licensing reasons.
3 times alone yesterday I had Win10 switch PDF default app from Nitro to Edge.
Also at home I like to use VLC player for videos since the default player has problems with x265.
Guess what? That loves to constantly revert back to default player.
-
Anonymous
2018-03-11T08:38:36+00:00 Hi,
We would like to know, have you tried any troubleshooting steps to address the issue? If yes, what are the steps taken?
Kindly see Change default programs in Windows 10 for instructions.
For further queries, feel free to post back on Microsoft Community.