Windows 10 keeps changing my default programs

Anonymous
2017-07-17T19:36:54+00:00

Windows 10 keeps changing my default pdf program from Adobe Acrobat to Microsoft Edge. 

Please don't tell me to set my default program in control panel - I do that weekly.

Please don't tell me to do the "OpenWith" registry hack - I've done that, and it did work, until the next major Windows 10 update. Obviously, someone at Microsoft found out about that one.

I have also tried running another hack, that works for a while, but after a few days, I see that ANNOYING edge icon on my pdf files, and have to go back into control panel and change everything back.

It's really annoying, because, it's MY computer. I paid for it, and it included my O/S license - it is MY decision to use Adobe Acrobat for pdf files, not Microsoft's.

Please note that we also have a laptop where this issue NEVER occurs.

I know i'm not the only one out there where this still occurs even after setting the default and running the registry hack.

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization)

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

64 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-07-19T15:23:36+00:00

    Hi,

    Since the issue persists after all possible troubleshooting, we suggest that you post this query to one of our advance support site on this link.

    We alsoencourage you to submit your issues using the Feedback Hub. You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. When you submit a feedback item we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help determine what's causing it and address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submission in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items. 

    In order to send new feedback, please follow these steps:

    1. On a Windows 10 device, search for "Feedback Hub" in Cortana search, then launch the app.
    2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
    3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and  subcategory.
    4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you're done.
    5. Once you've completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
    6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.

    7 Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).

    1. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.
    2. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/<unique link>)

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-08-01T16:24:01+00:00

    I've already reported this via feedback hub. It was ignored.

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-08-02T11:27:06+00:00

    Hi

    I had the same problem a while back, I use Sumatra to open pdf. What I did was click on a pdf file in my documents in File Explorer and clicked the drop down arrow in Open from the ribbon and click on Choose another App then select your preferred app and check the always use box then OK. I sense your frustration and I apologise if you have already done this,  you don't say if you have.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-08-02T17:04:17+00:00

    Thanks for responding. Yes - I've tried that in the past. As you can see, Microsoft, in one of the recent updates, has removed the "always use this app" box - but, regardless, even when it was still available, it hijacks my setting at least weekly. I rarely get to this point, anyway. When I see those annoying Microsoft Edge icons, I curse up a storm, and then go to control panel and change the default. 

    Leaning toward switching to Apple, if they won't take the time to fix the automatic change of default apps to their recommended garbage. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    90+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-08-16T17:55:15+00:00

    So - more details on this. Since the latest large Windows 10 update, I noticed exactly when it happens. I receive frequent zip files of mp3 files. Groove Music is my default mp3 player. However, in the zip files, the files have the Windows Media Player icon. Since the latest update, when i extract those files, they convert to Groove Music. I then get notifications that applications have been reset to defaults. And my pdf files are reset to Edge.

    I could not find anywhere a place to set defaults within winzip files. So, I switched to WinRAR, and the mp3 files now have Groove Music, and I no longer get a system reset to defaults.....It has been a week - and no resetting of my pdf files has occurred. knock on wood......

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments