Windows 10 keeps changing my default programs

Anonymous
2017-07-17T19:36:54+00:00

Windows 10 keeps changing my default pdf program from Adobe Acrobat to Microsoft Edge. 

Please don't tell me to set my default program in control panel - I do that weekly.

Please don't tell me to do the "OpenWith" registry hack - I've done that, and it did work, until the next major Windows 10 update. Obviously, someone at Microsoft found out about that one.

I have also tried running another hack, that works for a while, but after a few days, I see that ANNOYING edge icon on my pdf files, and have to go back into control panel and change everything back.

It's really annoying, because, it's MY computer. I paid for it, and it included my O/S license - it is MY decision to use Adobe Acrobat for pdf files, not Microsoft's.

Please note that we also have a laptop where this issue NEVER occurs.

I know i'm not the only one out there where this still occurs even after setting the default and running the registry hack.

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization)

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

64 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T19:16:44+00:00

    None of the updates have anything to do with your personal files. As you would know if you bothered to study what the updates actually were.

    Which you could simply by clicking on any one of them and seeing what they included:

    RE-EDITED FOR CLARITY

    But: This page will give you the contents of the most recent cumulative update:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4089848/windows-10-update-kb4089848

    AND this page will give you the contents of the one before that:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4088776/windows-10-update-kb4088776

    And here's one from last month: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4074592/windows-10-update-kb4074592

    You get the idea, I'm sure. Nothing here is messing with your apps. You are free to spend the rest of the week reading up on all the updates, if you like. Just keep clicking the entries on the left side of the page.

    There is, in these latter years of the second decade of the 21st Century , a belief (fostered by a certain President of the United States) that if you keep repeating inane and demonstrably false statements long enough they eventually become true.

    This belief is ill-founded.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T18:49:50+00:00

    You are so obtuse. 

    I am telling you the behavior on my computer - as is happening on others who have replied to this thread. When the effing icons change, the program changes. 

    Forget about the .mp3s from WinZip for a moment. That was what I found to be the cause. Again - for the millionth time - i have not had the issue since I stopped using WinZip.

    What you fail to realize is in your snarky responses is that the icons change; the default programs change; and the settings change.

    A pdf icon will change to Edge; it will open with Edge; and the default program in setting will become Edge. Same with any video file that Microsoft has decided should be used with Movies and TV. I can go through all of my video files and change them to VLC viewer....and, again, if I extract mp3 files using WinZip - when they change, everything that I have changed from Microsoft's defaults will change.

    [Mod Removed]

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T18:49:20+00:00

    Its changing more than just the icons.  It is changing the actual program assignments.  This is a phenomena that has just recently started.  It has been going on for the past month or so.  I have not added any new programs during this period.  The only thing that may have changed is windows, through their mandatory updates.

    I can start the program and then open the required file, but we have millions of files in a very elaborate and deep directory structure.  To open the program and then drill down to the file that I need to open, would be prohibitively time consuming.  I often need to access a hundred or more files in a single day.  It is much more efficient to work directly from the file manager and double click on the file I want to open.

    Microsoft has done this before, and subsequently been sued, and lost, here in the United States as well as the EU.  Since it has been a few years since they lost their last lawsuit, it looks like they are at it again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments