Windows 10 keeps changing my default programs

Anonymous
2017-07-17T19:36:54+00:00

Windows 10 keeps changing my default pdf program from Adobe Acrobat to Microsoft Edge. 

Please don't tell me to set my default program in control panel - I do that weekly.

Please don't tell me to do the "OpenWith" registry hack - I've done that, and it did work, until the next major Windows 10 update. Obviously, someone at Microsoft found out about that one.

I have also tried running another hack, that works for a while, but after a few days, I see that ANNOYING edge icon on my pdf files, and have to go back into control panel and change everything back.

It's really annoying, because, it's MY computer. I paid for it, and it included my O/S license - it is MY decision to use Adobe Acrobat for pdf files, not Microsoft's.

Please note that we also have a laptop where this issue NEVER occurs.

I know i'm not the only one out there where this still occurs even after setting the default and running the registry hack.

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization)

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

64 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T23:21:50+00:00

    I didn't even call him a name - I said he was obtuse....and he is. 

    First of all - he is NOT a Microsoft employee - there is no "Microsoft" by his name on his replies as you see when a real Microsoft employee responds.

    Secondly - his logic that "if it is not occurring on his computer, then the problem does not exist" is EXACTLY why people hate computer support techs. It reminds me of when working desktop support at my previous job, my co-worker got a call from a user who was complaining that the network was "down." My co-worker said - I'm connected, so it can't be down. A simple 10 foot trek to the computer room would have told him that one of the switches was down. Our floor was okay, but the floor above was down. 

    Point being, Sir Charles, if you are still reading the responses.....don't be so quick to say that it is not a problem, and that even if it were a problem - that it's not the fault of Microsoft. Microsoft has made PLENTY of mistakes in the past; and a simple error in the code would not surprise anyone (except you, of course.)

    I opened this thread last summer at the height of my frustration with this issue - and found that I am not the only one with it - even though some "experts" say it's not an issue. Since that time, I found a solution that has resolved it for me. Tom (Hyperlogic), Stargateok, and others - I hope someone from Microsoft responds to this thread with some REAL troubleshooting for you. Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more