Windows 10 keeps changing my default programs

Anonymous
2017-07-17T19:36:54+00:00

Windows 10 keeps changing my default pdf program from Adobe Acrobat to Microsoft Edge. 

Please don't tell me to set my default program in control panel - I do that weekly.

Please don't tell me to do the "OpenWith" registry hack - I've done that, and it did work, until the next major Windows 10 update. Obviously, someone at Microsoft found out about that one.

I have also tried running another hack, that works for a while, but after a few days, I see that ANNOYING edge icon on my pdf files, and have to go back into control panel and change everything back.

It's really annoying, because, it's MY computer. I paid for it, and it included my O/S license - it is MY decision to use Adobe Acrobat for pdf files, not Microsoft's.

Please note that we also have a laptop where this issue NEVER occurs.

I know i'm not the only one out there where this still occurs even after setting the default and running the registry hack.

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization)

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

64 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T20:50:48+00:00

    I have the same problem.  MS doesn't ask me if I want to change the default app, it just gives me a message that it has.  I also think it very "bigbrother" of MS to only give default program options as "the MS app" or "MS store".  Why can't I just run my computer as I wish and not as MS does.  I'm on metered BW and every month I go over because of MS.  I go to data usage and it's right there where MS has used my BW to make useless upgrades.  New pretty pictures and other crap.  I don't use half of what is on Win10, but I can't get rid of it unless I get rid of Win10. Hey there's an idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T00:29:07+00:00

    Hi Bill,

    We understand that it is important that your settings are set up permanently when you configure them. If you're setting up a different default program when opening PDF files and it always reverts back to Microsoft Edge, it is possible that there is an issue with you r current user profile. For us to isolate the issue, please create a new administrator account so that we can verify if the issue will occur on a new user profile.

    If the issue persists, it is best to report your concern in the Feedback Hub. You can refer to the reply of Leviozar Gam to know how to submit an issue in the Feedback Hub. If you've already reported this issue there, we highly recommend that you post the link of your submission here so that other community member can upvote it.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-11T08:38:36+00:00

    Hi,

    We would like to know, have you tried any troubleshooting steps to address the issue? If yes, what are the steps taken?

    Kindly see Change default programs in Windows 10 for instructions.

    For further queries, feel free to post back on Microsoft Community.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-27T00:39:07+00:00

    (sigh)

    There is.  Why do you keep spreading false information? Are you that bad at setting up your own computers? Really? If you are...sell them.

    VLC is not Microsoft. Adobe Reader is not Microsoft. iTunes is CERTAINLY not Microsoft yet all three are set as default apps on my PC and have not changed since I set them more than a year ago.

    I suggest you folks find someone who understands how Windows 10 actually works to set up your computers for you.

    Because whatever you're doing clearly isn't working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T15:58:48+00:00

    Tom,

    The issue may not be an isolated one but I do assure you Windows does not willfully change your default programs. I use a non Windows app for zip files (7Zip) and Windows 10 has never suggested I reset it to any preferred version they may happen to have.

    I use a non-windows app for video files (Videolan's VLC Media Player) and Windows has never reset that either.

    The same goes for my default music player (iTunes) Windows has never attempted to change it either.

    That you (and some others) have an issue of some kind is clear.

    But it isn't Microsoft that is causing it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments