Wireless Xbox One controller requires PIN for Windows 10.

Anonymous
2017-08-22T14:48:00+00:00

I cant connect my xbox wireless controller to my PC with Bluetooth because Windows 10 requires a PIN.

The controller is discovered by Bluetooth under add new device and it recognizes that it is an Xbox Wireless Controller. However when I hit the connect button it asks for a PIN without the option to not use one. As far as I know the Xbox Controller does not have a PIN. Currently the official xbox troubleshoot guide says to connect with USB. Not only do I not want to use a wire for my wireless controller but I never received one with it.

Please note that this is not an issue with the controller. It connects to a Xbox console and MacBook without any issues. I just cant connect to Windows 10. What I am looking for is a PIN that works, a way to remove the PIN requirement, or some other fix that doesn't involve buying something else as a work around. 

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers]

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-08-26T00:26:54+00:00

Hi,

You will be asked for a PIN when connecting your wireless Xbox One controller via Bluetooth on Windows 10 if your Bluetooth drivers are not updated. It is also possible that you have to reset the controller to remove the PIN. To resolve your concern, restart your controller by following the steps below:

  1. Power off the controller by pressing and holding the Xbox button  on the controller for 6 seconds.
  2. Press the Xbox button  again to power it back on.
  3. Connect your Xbox Wireless Controller to your PC using a USB cable or the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows.

You can also update your Bluetooth drivers by following the steps on this link.

Keep us updated with the results after performing the suggested solutions above.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-11-22T00:14:06+00:00

Thank you for your response. The Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows can only be used to connect an Xbox Wireless Controller to your Windows 10 PC. Miracast has a different wireless adapter which is used to stream on the TV. This device is similar to the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.

Since you are trying to use an Xbox Wireless Controller, we recommend that you use the Xbox Wireless Adapter for a stable connection to your PC.

Should you have any other queries, you can contact us anytime.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-12T14:08:34+00:00

    When I investigated originally ( many months ago ) I found everything worked provided you use Bluetooth 2.1 or greater.

    You need built-in Bluetooth ( possibly provided by your laptop ) or external USB bluetooth dongle.

    If you have problems try a different and reputable Bluetooth adapter. It does not need to be bleeding-edge ( mine came from a Poundshop ) .

    Also, remember about interference ( pc power supply and drives, wifi, etc ) and you might want to front mount adapter if that puts it nearer your gamepad.

    The Microsoft adapter works better [in my experience] and also pairs with my wireless TurtleBeach headphones ( they in turn can pair indepedently with my Xbox1x when I am not using them for PC with its own gamepad ) . I bought 2 I think ( one was £10 ) cos I lost track of the original when moving house.

    Hope some of this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-13T19:59:50+00:00

    Did not help.

    I tried to buy a new BT4.0 dongle, and it works smooth with my Samsung S9+, but still not able to pair with my XBox controller.

    It appears in the BT section, so it is discoverable, but the pairing times out all the time.

    (And connecting the controller with USB works also fine, and the controller is up to date firmware wise.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more