Wireless Xbox One controller requires PIN for Windows 10.

Anonymous
2017-08-22T14:48:00+00:00

I cant connect my xbox wireless controller to my PC with Bluetooth because Windows 10 requires a PIN.

The controller is discovered by Bluetooth under add new device and it recognizes that it is an Xbox Wireless Controller. However when I hit the connect button it asks for a PIN without the option to not use one. As far as I know the Xbox Controller does not have a PIN. Currently the official xbox troubleshoot guide says to connect with USB. Not only do I not want to use a wire for my wireless controller but I never received one with it.

Please note that this is not an issue with the controller. It connects to a Xbox console and MacBook without any issues. I just cant connect to Windows 10. What I am looking for is a PIN that works, a way to remove the PIN requirement, or some other fix that doesn't involve buying something else as a work around. 

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers]

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-08-26T00:26:54+00:00

Hi,

You will be asked for a PIN when connecting your wireless Xbox One controller via Bluetooth on Windows 10 if your Bluetooth drivers are not updated. It is also possible that you have to reset the controller to remove the PIN. To resolve your concern, restart your controller by following the steps below:

  1. Power off the controller by pressing and holding the Xbox button  on the controller for 6 seconds.
  2. Press the Xbox button  again to power it back on.
  3. Connect your Xbox Wireless Controller to your PC using a USB cable or the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows.

You can also update your Bluetooth drivers by following the steps on this link.

Keep us updated with the results after performing the suggested solutions above.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-11-22T00:14:06+00:00

Thank you for your response. The Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows can only be used to connect an Xbox Wireless Controller to your Windows 10 PC. Miracast has a different wireless adapter which is used to stream on the TV. This device is similar to the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.

Since you are trying to use an Xbox Wireless Controller, we recommend that you use the Xbox Wireless Adapter for a stable connection to your PC.

Should you have any other queries, you can contact us anytime.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-16T18:19:31+00:00

    So I hate to say but there are somethings that Windows 10 just doesn't handle well. Bluetooth just happens to be one of them. I have a Targus Bluetooth Dongle adapter that is usb. It is actually horrible on a Windows 10 pc. At one point in time I had a Logitech Bluetooth backlit keyboard and there were so many issues between the dongle, drivers, and keyboard that I got rid of it because it wasn't worth my time or sanity (90 dollar keyboard mind you). I do know recently there was a Bluetooth driver update in my Windows update and in my infinite wisdom not thinking about Microsoft's past history with drivers and definitely against my better judgement I let Microsoft update it. At first I was actually getting errors in Device Manager where it would say bad device driver data or something to that effect. I resolved that issue by removing it from one usb port and plugging it into another. Now however same as lot of people in this post when I try to pair my Xbox one x Scorpio edition controller with my pc it  says hello (not really) can I please have your pin. Again I would love to see Microsoft fix this but there are somethings they just don't do well.

    Maybe someday after I am dead and gone someone at Microsoft will actually care about this issue and I will actually be able to use my controller with my pc. Mind you it will be too late by then because well ill be dead but they will have fixed it.

    Ric

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-08T07:08:24+00:00

    Just come clean and tell everybody to get a Blutooth v3.0 dongle. Your generic copy and paste answers are insulting.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T19:03:53+00:00

    Hi, I have now tried to update my PC to the latest Windows-version, updated my Bluetooth to the latest driver, and attached the controller using a cable.

    All worked fine, but I am still not able to pair it with Windows (I still need to enter a PIN)

    WHAT TO DO???..... :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments