Wireless Xbox One controller requires PIN for Windows 10.

Anonymous
2017-08-22T14:48:00+00:00

I cant connect my xbox wireless controller to my PC with Bluetooth because Windows 10 requires a PIN.

The controller is discovered by Bluetooth under add new device and it recognizes that it is an Xbox Wireless Controller. However when I hit the connect button it asks for a PIN without the option to not use one. As far as I know the Xbox Controller does not have a PIN. Currently the official xbox troubleshoot guide says to connect with USB. Not only do I not want to use a wire for my wireless controller but I never received one with it.

Please note that this is not an issue with the controller. It connects to a Xbox console and MacBook without any issues. I just cant connect to Windows 10. What I am looking for is a PIN that works, a way to remove the PIN requirement, or some other fix that doesn't involve buying something else as a work around. 

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers]

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-08-26T00:26:54+00:00

Hi,

You will be asked for a PIN when connecting your wireless Xbox One controller via Bluetooth on Windows 10 if your Bluetooth drivers are not updated. It is also possible that you have to reset the controller to remove the PIN. To resolve your concern, restart your controller by following the steps below:

  1. Power off the controller by pressing and holding the Xbox button  on the controller for 6 seconds.
  2. Press the Xbox button  again to power it back on.
  3. Connect your Xbox Wireless Controller to your PC using a USB cable or the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows.

You can also update your Bluetooth drivers by following the steps on this link.

Keep us updated with the results after performing the suggested solutions above.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-11-22T00:14:06+00:00

Thank you for your response. The Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows can only be used to connect an Xbox Wireless Controller to your Windows 10 PC. Miracast has a different wireless adapter which is used to stream on the TV. This device is similar to the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.

Since you are trying to use an Xbox Wireless Controller, we recommend that you use the Xbox Wireless Adapter for a stable connection to your PC.

Should you have any other queries, you can contact us anytime.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-30T11:16:39+00:00

    I am choosing the 1st one but still getting the password with my 2.0 Bluetooth dongle

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-30T10:59:58+00:00

    Hi Arretteig,

    I had the same problem, and am using a standard Bluetooth dongle.  However, after clicking "Add Bluetooth or other device" in settings, I selected the first option (with mouse, etc. Bluetooth devices listed), instead of the 3rd option ("everything else" which includes xbox controllers) and it worked! 

    I had been choosing the third option unsuccessfully because it asked for a PIN, but when you choose the first option it just came up with "xbox controller" as an option and paired it.  Hope this helps (if you've not already sorted it!).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-25T04:56:21+00:00

    sorry to hear that. How reputable is your BT4.0 dongle ( branded ) ?

    i tried on two i7 windows10 desktop pcs and it seemed a simple fix ( changing BT dongle for a poundshop BT unit ) .

    The Microsoft adapter does seem better for gaming ( longer internal antenna perhaps ) .

    You tried uninstall and using usb Bluetooth dongle in another usb port probably? Also, disabling any built-in BT ( my laptops & netbooks have these and you need to use Function keys to toggle them on/off ) .

    I am sorry I have nothing too helpful/insightful to offer just trying to be polite when I ( just now 25july ) noticed you had replied. Might be able to offer you driver versions and all that malarky if you need...

    best of luck with it

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments