Windows 10 - Defender Offline Scan not working

Anonymous
2017-02-27T09:04:07+00:00

Win Defender Offline Scan not starting, not rebooting, nothing happens (?)

Moved from  Windows

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-11T05:14:06+00:00

    Hi Julie - thanks for the response - I have tried all the other steps in this thread, via powershell etc. I currently do not have a USB key so haven't been able to try running it on start up (however do believe this would work). Prior to my issues windows did dectect a trojan and Malwarebytes also picked up suspect registry keys and other PUPs.

    I am thinking of doing a PC Refresh as there still seem to be small issues and my last windows 10 update did not run sucessfully - I am trying this first:

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/products/scanner#

    Windows security scanner - however have had issues downloading the file as of now - the download is continually interupted/does not complete.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-11T06:55:43+00:00

    Thanks for this - I'm leaning towards a refresh or worst case reinstall of windows

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-12T00:30:55+00:00

    Hi Marv,

    Found this thread at the top of the list, due to your current posts.

    You do not say what your current W10 version is. This thread was

    started some time ago, when WDO actually had some problems.

    Most recent of which, was caused by certain updates that were

    released for W10 version 1703. However, version 1709 corrected

    that problem, and WDO seems to be working just fine at that

    version for me.   What kind of symptoms do you have?

    NOTE: Until recently, it was also possible to run WDO on W10

       computers using a Media USB, created using the Mssstool that

       applied to W7. It appears, that is no longer possible. Attempts

       to use the USB method now, results in an error 0x8004cc01.

       Looks like Microsoft may have modified the WDO program, again.

    That aside, the internal WDO program seems solid at v1709

    build 16299.64.

    Regards,  Glen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-12T03:19:39+00:00

    Now windows defender is working fine, it just takes few minutes to restart the pc, downloading updates and starting the scan. 

    All that i did is updating to the latest windows 10 fall creators update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-12T06:16:18+00:00

    Hi Glenn,

    Thanks for the reply - I just checked and I am running the following version (appears to be latest):

    Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.98)

    In this version when I click on "Advanced Scans" and then "Run Windows Defender Offline Scan" - I receive the pop up to confirm I want to run the scan and then nothing happens - I've left my laptop for over an hour and nothing starts or reboots etc.  

    There is no error message or any indication that anything is happening. the screen shot below shows all I see after trying to run the scan. I can then press cancel or just close the window with the X.

    I was planning on getting a USB key and trying to run WDO via this - however can see you have indicated that this functionality might have been removed.

    Alternatively I was planning on downloading the following Microsoft Safety Scanner and running it later this evening:

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/products/scanner

    I was not sure if WDO had been disabled by whatever trojan or PUP had been detected earlier and as such was planning on refreshing my PC - and seeing if WDO works thereafter (after running all relevant windows updates)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments