Hi Cass,
Your question is not stupid, but very astute. The first thing WDO does (or should do)
is download the latest definitions. That would be considered to be "Online". However,
the WDO program should be booted into the machine. That puts the machine
"Offline". Offline, in this case, meaning that the operating system is not loaded, and
any malware within it can have no effect on the scan.
That is how it's supposed to work! It is not working that way right now!
The observable symptom is; Once WDO is started the machine boots. The "splash"
screen is displayed for about two minutes, then the machine boots back to Windows.
No scan takes place !
I believe that the cause for this problem has been defined already, in this thread.
Those, from Microsoft, who could have some effect on its resolution, have
barely
missed the post. It has been obscured, in this thread, and in another thread. I fear if
I describe it here, it will not be seen either. I will start another thread to describe it.
What John Q has discovered is, that some Microsoft Updates are causing the problem.
Regards, Glen