According to windows Update I am totally up to date - however WDO does not run
Windows 10 - Defender Offline Scan not working
Win Defender Offline Scan not starting, not rebooting, nothing happens (?)
Moved from Windows
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
44 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2017-12-12T06:16:54+00:00 -
Anonymous
2017-12-12T23:37:20+00:00 Hi Mav,
Sorry I misspelled your name in my previous post.
What you describe as your symptom sounds the same as this.
Have you tried running a Defender Quick Scan to completion?
Regards, Glen
-
Anonymous
2017-12-13T06:06:02+00:00 Hi Glen - my apologies too - I misspelled your name.
Firstly thanks for that link - that perfectly describes the issue I am having - I took the following steps:
- Ran a quick scan - this ran to completion (no threats found)
- Shut down my laptop using a command line: "shutdown.exe /s /t 00"
- Started up again and tried to run WDO - same issue persisted
further to this:
- I managed to open the old windows defender interface and saw a trojan in the quarantined field - I removed this:
- I managed to run the Microsoft Safety Scanner
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/products/scanner
I ran a full scan over night - this morning the results showed that all threats had been found and dealt with - the above Trojan was back in Quarantine - I have since removed it again.
Weirdly when I run the scan through the new interface through settings (image below at the end of text) - no threats are found in both the full or quick scan.
My next steps will be to try the following:
1 . Get a USB Key to try and run WDO on startup - (although you have said this has since been disabled in the latest update)
- Run full scans again with:
- Old WD interface (pic above)
- Microsoft Safety Scanner (linked above)
- Google to check for the best free third party antivirus software and run a scan and WDO equivalent scan
- Last case - Refresh my PC - reinstall applications
Thanks again for all your help - please let me know if you have any additional tips on the above and/or need any other information from me.
Mav
Just an additional note - I have malwarebytes installed and ran a scan with this (including for rootkits) - nothing was found - this scan has been run multiple times.
-
Anonymous
2017-12-13T09:37:42+00:00 Hi Mav,
Sorry to hear completing a scan didn't help. It worked like a charm
for me! I wonder if turning your machine off, before testing WDO
might have undone the scan completing magic. We can't know
what the condition is in the program that caused the problem,
nor whether the scan fix would be undone with a power down,
before trying WDO again. I would recommend trying it again,
without the power down, before resorting to re-install.
Using the USB method is really what's called for here, since you
may still have a malware problem that could be involved.
If you have access to a Media USB that was created 2 or 3
weeks ago, you may be able to get it to work. The current
problem (0x8004cc01) occurs using a USB that has had WDO
"updated" recently. If you update an old USB without formatting
it first, only the definitions are updated. WDO should be left intact.
If a recent WDO modification is at fault, this should alleviate. I
don't have an old level Media USB to test.
ps.. Before reinstalling, have you tried using DISM and SFC?
Use SFC / DISM to repair system files
BitDefender has a Rescue Disk that resembles WDO.
Good Luck, Glen