Windows 10 - Defender Offline Scan not working

Anonymous
2017-02-27T09:04:07+00:00

Win Defender Offline Scan not starting, not rebooting, nothing happens (?)

Moved from  Windows

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-08-18T15:39:34+00:00

    That is the screen for WD running sure 'nuff, Glenn. My screen above says "Defender Offline Scanning"

    Here's a clearer picture I found on the Internet https://www.gigafree.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Windows-Defender-offline-scan9.jpg

    That green bar moves as the scan progresses.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-08-18T11:47:35+00:00

    Hi,

    Apologies for the confusion.  The problem that I posted is related to the original question on this thread from A. User (I appear to have the same problem):

    "Win Defender Offline Scan not starting, not rebooting, nothing happens (?)"

    Regarding the problem posted by Cass, I am not sure what is going on.  I have two other devices running Windows 10 1703, and I get the same exact response i.e. I only get what looks more like a splash screen, and then it reboots again.  

    GlenProuty - what version of Windows 10 are you on?

    My sense (for this second issue) is that there are two possibilities, given that many seem to have this problem:  1) On recent builds (i.e. 1703) this is "normal" i.e. the splash screen is actually the scan itself or 2) on recent builds, WDO is fubar and not working at all, and MS will have to acknowledge and fix this problem on future updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-08-18T04:57:39+00:00

    Hi Cass,

    I think what you are seeing is not the WDO GUI, but what I call the "Splash Screen".

    That is the screen that appears as WDO prepares to run.

    This is the the screen for WDO running.

    WDO Running

    The launching screen does appear to be an indication of something running,

    but unless they have changed it, it is just WDO preparing to run.

    How many ways can this thing fail? Ole's problem sounds altogether different!

    Good Luck,  Glen

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-08-18T04:13:02+00:00

    say OK. Now, forgive me, please if I express ignorance regarding the tech terminology. I assume that, by GUI, you mean this:

    And that you select the "Scan Now" option. Which is what I do. But then mine does actually run the scan.  Could it be some third party software or even some Windows Beta software that others have installed that I haven't?

    Just a thought....because if we're all using the same software it is really bizarre.

    This is what happens on mine after I say  "Yes" to all the prompts:

    Sorry for the blur...ain't got the hang of this Kindle Fire cam yet but it says it is doing the offline scan.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-08-17T21:20:57+00:00

    Having the same problem with Windows Defender Offline (WDO) and just found this thread.  

    Running Windows 10 1703, have removed all 3rd party anti-virus software, and tried all the suggestions mentioned so far in this thread.

    I try to run WDO from the GUI, I get the pop up "Save your work," then I get the UAC message "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device", and when I click Yes, it goes back to the Windows Defender GUI without running the scan.  When I try to launch WDO from an elevated Powershell command line (i.e. Start-MpWDOScan), nothing happens..no error, nothing...just goes back to the prompt. 

    Does anyone have any idea what is really causing this problem???

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments