Windows 10 - Defender Offline Scan not working

Anonymous
2017-02-27T09:04:07+00:00

Win Defender Offline Scan not starting, not rebooting, nothing happens (?)

Moved from  Windows

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-10T17:12:44+00:00

    Was this issue solved? I am having the same problem - additionally when in safe mode (including safe mode with networking) - windows defender has no options to run any scans

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-08-19T20:03:20+00:00

    To avoid confusion & duplication of effort, please post any/all further follow-up in replies to your own, new thread => https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/defender_offline-protect_scanning-windows_10/windows-defender-offline-does-not-start/65ee259b-92e4-4cd8-adab-7b625eabb837

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-08-19T06:29:28+00:00

    Hi Ole,

    My Windows 10 machine is version 1703 (OS build 15063.540)

    2017-08 Cumulative Update for 64bit KB4034674

    I have not been involved with the problem that you describe. Is it possible that

    there may be remnants of your old antivirus present? If you dare, you might

    search your Registry. CAUTION: changes can be fatal!   Good Luck, Glen

    Hi Cass,

    The current question is; Exactly what should WDO look like during an offline

    scan. Before Cumulative Update 2017-06 KB4022716 and 2017-07 KB4025342,

    the "splash screen" would display, indicating that WDO was preparing to run,

    and then the WDO GUI would display during the scan. No doubt, scan running.

    I never paid any attention to how long the "splash screen" was on before, but

    on my machine it runs for two minutes now. That doesn't seem long enough

    for a scan. But it does seem more than enough to prepare!  

    I am currently trying to get the answer. Please see the LINK

    Regards,  Glen

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-08-18T11:47:35+00:00

    Hi,

    Apologies for the confusion.  The problem that I posted is related to the original question on this thread from A. User (I appear to have the same problem):

    "Win Defender Offline Scan not starting, not rebooting, nothing happens (?)"

    Regarding the problem posted by Cass, I am not sure what is going on.  I have two other devices running Windows 10 1703, and I get the same exact response i.e. I only get what looks more like a splash screen, and then it reboots again.  

    GlenProuty - what version of Windows 10 are you on?

    My sense (for this second issue) is that there are two possibilities, given that many seem to have this problem:  1) On recent builds (i.e. 1703) this is "normal" i.e. the splash screen is actually the scan itself or 2) on recent builds, WDO is fubar and not working at all, and MS will have to acknowledge and fix this problem on future updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more