Windows virus scam?

Anonymous
2017-02-05T22:29:04+00:00

First I got a pop up saying my computer was blocked and had the number 888-537-7465. I called and gave them access to my laptop through log me in. They did tests and they told me I have to pay $249.99 for a 5 years anti virus service. The antivirus is from a company called www.mytechadvise.com which has a phone number of 1-844-797-3777. I gave them credit card number, credit card cvv, phone number, email and address. I bought the antivirus and they gave me a new code for log me in and they hung the phone. They installed stuff and they called me an hour later. They told me to log in to email and Facebook, but I only logged in to my work email. They have my credit card info and they saw me log into my email. I changed the email password on a another computer. I'm confused since the pop up said it was Microsoft, but at the end, they said they weren't connected to Microsoft. I asked them are they a scam they said no. What should I do to stay safe as they have credit card number and cvv, email, phone number and address?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-02-05T22:41:15+00:00

You got scammed. Cancel your credit card and dispute the charges. Change your email address. Change all passwords. Change any PIN numbers. Anything else financial on your computer? Change that too.

  Remove anything they installed with this tool.  

  Revo Uninstaller  

  [http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html](http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html)  

  From Quietman, see: I have been hacked...What should I do?  

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=3071944

  Next, follow the instructions here even if the pop up is gone.  

  [http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-tech-support-scam-popups/](http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-tech-support-scam-popups/)  

  Also run this tool.  

  SuperAntiSpyware (Free version)  

  [http://www.superantispyware.com/](http://www.superantispyware.com/)  

  And see:  

  PSA: Tech Support Scams Pop-Ups on the Rise  

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-scam/2014/11/psa-tech-support-scams-pop-ups-on-the-rise/

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Monkey57 3,535 Reputation points
    2017-02-06T05:09:29+00:00

    Unfortunately, you have been scammed with a 'Browser Hijack' into letting someone untrusted remotely into your computer.  It is one of the worse types of compromises, and exposes you to a host of continuing risks.

    There is NO TOOLavailable that will find everything a suspicious individual, with malicious intent, could have done to your computer.... 

    Please consider a Clean install (or at least a Win10 Reset(Remove everything)), after allowing suspicious remote access:

    Create the USB media creation tool from a safe, secure computer.

    Change all your passwords from a safe device, or after the clean install.

    Watch your credit cards closely, you may want to contact the bank to have the charges reversed, and the CC canceled.

    For the protection of what is important (if win8/10)(although you may not be able to trust your backup, after granting suspicious remote access or being hacked or having multiple malicious things going on):

    Make sure your FileHistory backup is up-to-date (right click start, control panel, FileHistory-Turn it On). (it requires a usb external harddrive (Windows 8/10 will, automatically, create the FileHistory folder on the usb drive, when FileHistory is turned On);  or network harddrive can be used (make a 'FileHistory' folder on the Network Harddrive to connect the app to).... To make sure you don't run out of room on your external storage-- in FileHistory (go to Advanced Setting (on left of the FileHistory window) change the 'Keep saved versions:' to 'Until space is needed'

    and/or See:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17143/windows-10-back-up-your-files

    Libraries are backed up in FileHistory-

    If you keep things in non-standard places, make new Libraries or add the Folders to one of the Default Libraries

    (To make a new Library--Right Click on Libraries- New-> Library (name it).  To add a folders to a Default Library or your custom Library - right clicking the folder you want to add to your library (choose'Include in Library')).

    Check to see where quicken , printer scan-to folders, or any other user installed software is saving data.  (You can backup quicken/intuit program data to a OneDrive folder, but do not let database files (i.e quicken/quickbooks) reside in OneDrive;  although, they can be included in Libraries (and probably already are), they will not backup when open.  (some (other) databases can not be restored easily from raw data alone).

    see:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/3fea0c19-0ae3-4c9c-a737-b228a06f8b57/show-libraries-in-file-explorer

    Win10 Clean install: (have your software and data backup ava for restore)

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-windows-10/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-or-reinstall-of/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08

    If not Win10, to create a (Win7, Win8.1) OS install media, please see --

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download

    Check the Device MFG support Website with your model number for Mfg Updates/Drivers.

    **Note:**If you sync your profile in Chrome or Internet Explorer (mainly Win8/10 synced to a MS account) or Firefox, etc- malicious home pages and search preferences may come back after a Win10 Reset, reset the home pages, and re-examine the search preferences after signing into the browser.  Remove and re-add desktop and taskbar browser shortcuts.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/861aa21c-cf7a-48e0-b3dc-54c0b17b3cfa/about-sync-settings-on-windows-10-devices


    There are many malicious things they could have done, please see:

    Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?

    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700813.aspx

    Change the default login password (not the wireless key), on the router.

    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/reminder-change-the-default-password-on-your-home-router-before-a-hacker-does-022715.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-02-06T12:04:19+00:00

    They offer a refund

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Monkey57 3,535 Reputation points
    2017-02-06T13:02:32+00:00

    "They offer a refund"  ->

    They conned with a browser hijack -- hard to trust someone that gets into your pocket by tricking you.. 

    There is NO TOOLavailable that will find everything a suspicious individual, with malicious intent, could have done to your computer, after allowing suspicious remote access...... 

    There are many malicious things they could have done, please see:

    Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?

    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700813.aspx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments