Windows virus scam?

Anonymous
2017-02-05T22:29:04+00:00

First I got a pop up saying my computer was blocked and had the number 888-537-7465. I called and gave them access to my laptop through log me in. They did tests and they told me I have to pay $249.99 for a 5 years anti virus service. The antivirus is from a company called www.mytechadvise.com which has a phone number of 1-844-797-3777. I gave them credit card number, credit card cvv, phone number, email and address. I bought the antivirus and they gave me a new code for log me in and they hung the phone. They installed stuff and they called me an hour later. They told me to log in to email and Facebook, but I only logged in to my work email. They have my credit card info and they saw me log into my email. I changed the email password on a another computer. I'm confused since the pop up said it was Microsoft, but at the end, they said they weren't connected to Microsoft. I asked them are they a scam they said no. What should I do to stay safe as they have credit card number and cvv, email, phone number and address?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-02-05T22:41:15+00:00

You got scammed. Cancel your credit card and dispute the charges. Change your email address. Change all passwords. Change any PIN numbers. Anything else financial on your computer? Change that too.

  Remove anything they installed with this tool.  

  Revo Uninstaller  

  [http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html](http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html)  

  From Quietman, see: I have been hacked...What should I do?  

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=3071944

  Next, follow the instructions here even if the pop up is gone.  

  [http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-tech-support-scam-popups/](http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-tech-support-scam-popups/)  

  Also run this tool.  

  SuperAntiSpyware (Free version)  

  [http://www.superantispyware.com/](http://www.superantispyware.com/)  

  And see:  

  PSA: Tech Support Scams Pop-Ups on the Rise  

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-scam/2014/11/psa-tech-support-scams-pop-ups-on-the-rise/

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-02-06T03:54:11+00:00

    Did you cancel your credit card?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-02-06T03:47:22+00:00

    If I deleted history on chrome before allowing access, can they still view banking info?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-02-06T03:34:33+00:00

    I am uninstalling all programs downloaded today and deleting all files from today and with superantispyware, I tested and the only harmful things found were cookies, and I removed the cookies, and after researching, I found out cookies aren't harmful and with scanning for cookies disabled, there was nothing harmful. I changed all email passwords for the emails we gave them. What more should I do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-02-06T03:22:03+00:00

    Like I said. You don't know what info they might have retrieved from your computer, or if they installed anything like a "Bot". Does this scare you?

      [https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-bot-net-2487267](https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-bot-net-2487267)  
    
      Many here would not have suggested what I did. They would have
      told you to reinstall Windows.
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments