Windows virus scam?

Anonymous
2017-02-05T22:29:04+00:00

First I got a pop up saying my computer was blocked and had the number 888-537-7465. I called and gave them access to my laptop through log me in. They did tests and they told me I have to pay $249.99 for a 5 years anti virus service. The antivirus is from a company called www.mytechadvise.com which has a phone number of 1-844-797-3777. I gave them credit card number, credit card cvv, phone number, email and address. I bought the antivirus and they gave me a new code for log me in and they hung the phone. They installed stuff and they called me an hour later. They told me to log in to email and Facebook, but I only logged in to my work email. They have my credit card info and they saw me log into my email. I changed the email password on a another computer. I'm confused since the pop up said it was Microsoft, but at the end, they said they weren't connected to Microsoft. I asked them are they a scam they said no. What should I do to stay safe as they have credit card number and cvv, email, phone number and address?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-02-05T22:41:15+00:00

You got scammed. Cancel your credit card and dispute the charges. Change your email address. Change all passwords. Change any PIN numbers. Anything else financial on your computer? Change that too.

  Remove anything they installed with this tool.  

  Revo Uninstaller  

  [http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html](http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html)  

  From Quietman, see: I have been hacked...What should I do?  

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=3071944

  Next, follow the instructions here even if the pop up is gone.  

  [http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-tech-support-scam-popups/](http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-tech-support-scam-popups/)  

  Also run this tool.  

  SuperAntiSpyware (Free version)  

  [http://www.superantispyware.com/](http://www.superantispyware.com/)  

  And see:  

  PSA: Tech Support Scams Pop-Ups on the Rise  

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-scam/2014/11/psa-tech-support-scams-pop-ups-on-the-rise/

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Monkey57 3,535 Reputation points
    2017-02-10T02:14:03+00:00

    "Can they still view what's happening on my laptop" -> scammers (you have granted suspicious remote access) can use a combination of legitimate tools and hacker tools to maintain a direct connection to your device and/or con you with ...   Scans will not necessarily remove or find their compromises;  to the safety, security, and stability of your computer.

    This forum will help you get your device to a safe, secure, stable point..... Please maintain vigilance to protect yourself, your data, and private info (password, PII, etc.)... There are many ways someone could have "name, address, phone number and email address" and use that to scam you......

    See my post earlier (pg 3) regarding a Win10 Reset (Remove everything) and Clean installing.

    Please also see in Bruce's signature. -> ▓►Avoid a post. Backup your data.◄▓

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-02-10T01:34:33+00:00

    If they have my moms name, address, phone number and email address, can they apply for a credit card? Is there anything else we should do other than changing email and forum and social media passwords, cancelling credit cards, changing bank account password? We told the bank about the scam. There is also a trace file named zam guard that won't be deleted, I delete and it comes back again. Can they still view what's happening on my laptop and get remote access after disconnecting from log me in?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-02-09T12:00:37+00:00

    Fine work there, Bruce! :)

    Sache_10, make sure you mark one of Bruce's replies which you find most helpful as answer (by using 'Mark as Answer' button in bottom-right of that reply) when your problem is solved. It'll be your bit in appreciating Bruce's help. :)

    Prashant Kumar

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-02-08T14:26:51+00:00

    No need to worry about that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments