Windows virus scam?

Anonymous
2017-02-05T22:29:04+00:00

First I got a pop up saying my computer was blocked and had the number 888-537-7465. I called and gave them access to my laptop through log me in. They did tests and they told me I have to pay $249.99 for a 5 years anti virus service. The antivirus is from a company called www.mytechadvise.com which has a phone number of 1-844-797-3777. I gave them credit card number, credit card cvv, phone number, email and address. I bought the antivirus and they gave me a new code for log me in and they hung the phone. They installed stuff and they called me an hour later. They told me to log in to email and Facebook, but I only logged in to my work email. They have my credit card info and they saw me log into my email. I changed the email password on a another computer. I'm confused since the pop up said it was Microsoft, but at the end, they said they weren't connected to Microsoft. I asked them are they a scam they said no. What should I do to stay safe as they have credit card number and cvv, email, phone number and address?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-02-05T22:41:15+00:00

You got scammed. Cancel your credit card and dispute the charges. Change your email address. Change all passwords. Change any PIN numbers. Anything else financial on your computer? Change that too.

  Remove anything they installed with this tool.  

  Revo Uninstaller  

  [http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html](http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html)  

  From Quietman, see: I have been hacked...What should I do?  

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=3071944

  Next, follow the instructions here even if the pop up is gone.  

  [http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-tech-support-scam-popups/](http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-tech-support-scam-popups/)  

  Also run this tool.  

  SuperAntiSpyware (Free version)  

  [http://www.superantispyware.com/](http://www.superantispyware.com/)  

  And see:  

  PSA: Tech Support Scams Pop-Ups on the Rise  

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-scam/2014/11/psa-tech-support-scams-pop-ups-on-the-rise/

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-02-07T04:27:25+00:00

    Your mouse is not at risk.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-02-07T04:18:59+00:00

    Computer mice sorry typo

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-02-07T04:04:05+00:00

    Sache_10 wrote:

    Can computer micand carry virus, Trojans, bots and other things?

    I can't decipher what that sentence means, especially the bold.  If
    you have done everything I suggested, you should be OK. Reinstalling
    Windows is the only guarantee.
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-02-07T03:37:39+00:00

    Can computer mice carry virus, Trojans, bots and other things? The mouse I'm using is Kensington optical elite model #72121. I used it on my scammed computer and now I used it on my safe computer, can it carry anything over? Also what we did is  my mom canceled her credit card, told the bank about the scam, changed her bank account password, changed all email passwords she used on that computer, I changed my email passwords and changed Instagram, Pinterest and quora passwords. What more should we do? Can they get access to other devices in our house using the same wifi as our scammed laptop? After they leave the log me in chat, can they still have access to the laptop. Is there any other precautions we should take?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments