XBox One Elite controller not detected by Xbox Accessories App after firmware update

Anonymous
2016-09-30T17:15:46+00:00

Hi,

I am using Windows 10 Pro with anniversary update installed. My Xbox One Elite controller no longer works after a firmware update by Xbox Accessories app.

I was testing my new Xbox One Elite controller until I realized I need to install Xbox Accessories app for key mapping features. After I installed Xbox Accessories app, it prompted me to update the firmware of my Elite controller. I proceed with the firmware update and it completed successfully. My Elite controller is connected to pc via usb port.

After the firmware update, Xbox Accessories app does not detect my Elite controller anymore. It just shows "Connect a controller to get started". I checked under Windows 10 device manager, my Elite controller is corrected detected with the latest driver.

My Elite controller is totally not functional in Windows 10 now despite all the troubleshooting method I found online. There are other Xbox One Elite controller owners facing the exact same problem in this tread below :-

https://forums.xbox.com/xbox\_support/xbox\_on\_windows\_support/f/5412/t/2203002.aspx?pi7406=1

There are other users highlighted this problem in Xbox Accessories app review in store :-

Xbox Accessories (https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh30xj3)

I hope we can highlight this potential driver or Xbox Accessories app issue to Windows support team to come up with a fix in a reasonable time.

Thank you.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-14T07:09:11+00:00

    In my opinion there is nothing wrong with third party programs or drivers here. The problem with Microsoft's Accessories App is being caused by a Microsoft change to Windows 10 and their complete disregard to fix it.

    Microsoft don't care about you. You are just a registered number to them, but they do care about your Dollar.

    It should be easy for them because they don't have much competition when it comes to operating systems, but some people don't want to change up & they hate that.

    I believe that they will do anything to get you to update to their next latest & Greatest Windows, even go as far as stopping support for old Windows versions, and if that fails IT IS MY OPINION that they will then put out updates that will cripple older version of windows. Like Apple does to their customers who own older iPhones to slow them down. Someone prove me wrong

    Remember, one of their (early) big selling points with windows 10 was their play anywhere games to try and hook the Gamers to get them away from windows 7 &  interested in Win 10. Well this accessories app was bought out to compliment that new play anywhere process. But the play anywhere was a dud just like windows 10 is a Dud.

     So, it would seem that as far as Microsoft is concerned with these types of problems is this:

    Windows 10 has flat-lined because it has reached its selling capacity & it's already past its use by date, and not too many more people are going to show too much interest in updating to it anymore. So why bother using valuable resources to fix pieces of it that weren't a success anyway..

    It's all about making money and the consumer giving them plenty of it with every new release of Windows.

    In my opinion, Microsoft have already moved on to the preparation of the next Windows and couldn't be bothered fixing this app because it is no longer important for them to do that. Once you have paid up you are just meaningless numbers to them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-07T11:18:12+00:00
    1. Paid $199.00 (AU) for the elite controller because of the sales pitch about being able to  configure it on Windows 10 using the App.
    2. Downloaded the App.
    3. Connected elite controller to Windows 10 with the supplied usb cable
    4. The App did a controller firmware update.
    5. Then the app opens to the controller config page but doesn't allow me to do anything when I click on the configure button. Nothing happens & it just hangs on that page.
    6. I have since been told that even though you have the elite controller connected to your PC with a USB cable you cannot configure the buttons etc in windows 10 until you connect the elite controller to the PC with an Xbox wireless adapter.

    This wireless adapter will cost you another $25 bucks (AU) on top of the battery pack & charger that you have to buy to get a half decent gaming experience with the controller on the Xbox one.

    Microsoft just give you a couple of lousy Double AA Batteries with this $199.00 (AU) Elite controller (and they were Flat straight out of the box).

    I knew it was a big dollar outlay for a controller & I wouldn't have minded paying the big bucks for it if it had worked on Windows 10 the way it was advertised that it would work, But it doesn't.

    What a hunk of junk this App is, & to be quite honest the $199.00 dollar Xbox Elite controller isn't too much better that the standard Xbox one controller when used on a PC anyway.

    Sure, it's a bit heavier, a bit prettier with a few extra buttons (that cannot be configured on windows 10).

    So why buy it when it does nothing more than the standard controller. In my opinion it is Not worth $199.00 if you are going to use it on a PC.

    Don't believe everything in the sales pitch because other than for a few extra paddles on the elite it is pretty much all talk when it comes to using it on a PC.

    Plus Microsoft do not want to know about it and seem to be in denial.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-07T11:16:26+00:00
    1. Paid $199.00 (AU) for the elite controller because of the sales pitch about being able to  configure it on Windows 10 using the App.
    2. Downloaded the App.
    3. Connected elite controller to Windows 10 with the supplied usb cable
    4. The App did a controller firmware update.
    5. Then the app opens to the controller config page but doesn't allow me to do anything when I click on the configure button. Nothing happens & it just hangs on that page.
    6. I have since been told that even though you have the elite controller connected to your PC with a USB cable you cannot configure the buttons etc in windows 10 until you connect the elite controller to the PC with an Xbox wireless adapter.

    This wireless adapter will cost you another $25 bucks (AU) on top of the battery pack & charger that you have to buy to get a half decent gaming experience with the controller on the Xbox one.

    Microsoft just give you a couple of lousy Double AA Batteries with this $199.00 (AU) Elite controller (and they were Flat straight out of the box).

    I knew it was a big dollar outlay for a controller & I wouldn't have minded paying the big bucks for it if it had worked on Windows 10 the way it was advertised that it would work, But it doesn't.

    What a hunk of junk this App is, & to be quite honest the $199.00 dollar Xbox Elite controller isn't too much better that the standard Xbox one controller when used on a PC anyway.

    Sure, it's a bit heavier, a bit prettier with a few extra buttons (that cannot be configured on windows 10).

    So why buy it when it does nothing more than the standard controller. In my opinion it is Not worth $199.00 if you are going to use it on a PC.

    Don't believe everything in the sales pitch because other than for a few extra paddles on the elite it is pretty much all talk when it comes to using it on a PC.

    Plus Microsoft do not want to know about it and seem to be in denial.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-10-21T20:46:46+00:00

    I´m having the same problem. Sometimes the app recognizes my elite controller but I cant enter configuration and on top it says not asigned, although it seems to recognize when I switch from 1 to 2 and do a vibration test. It even tells me what firmware I have, but when I tap on configuration I get redirected to the start screen!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-10-08T16:51:27+00:00

    Hi Ryan,

    Thank you for your reply.

    I bought the Elite controller only recently, so the only driver the Elite controller uses is from Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Roll Back Driver options is disabled).

    Here's the driver details :-

    Driver Date : 15-Jul-16

    Driver Version : 10.0.14393.0

    Is there a way to obtain an older version driver where I can install manually?

    With regards to the controller driver, you may contact our Xbox customer support here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments