Zune Marketplace, RIP

Anonymous
2016-04-28T08:12:22+00:00

Officially, we all heard that the Zune Marketplace, and the grandfathered Zune Pass, was going to be shut down many months ago. Of course, those of us who were fans of the service weren't happy. Well, whether out of incompetence or benevolence (I'm hoping it was the latter), at least on my end, both of these lasted significantly longer. I was still getting my free 10 mp3's as late as January. Sadly, I was only able to redeem 7 of those 10 credits before it mysteriously stopped working, but it was in time to the get the last David Bowie album, so I'm not complaining. Still, the Zune Marketplace, reduced to merely its function of providing DRM-protected content you could sync with your Zune, still worked. And worked. And worked. I was beginning to think that perhaps the better angels of Microsoft's conscience prevailed, and those of us with Zune Pass, err, Xbox, err, Groove Passes would still be able to download unlimited content for our PC's and Zune devices. Tonight, April 27, 2016, that officially ended.

My Zune software had what I thought was a glitch. It shut down, and I was offered the choice of getting it debugged. But when I restarted the software, I noticed two changes. First, when you right click artists or albums, you no longer have the option of being taken to where that content is on the Zune Marketplace. Instead, it says (for example), "More about the Flaming Lips ONLINE." Clicking those links just brings you to the Groove homepage, and an offer to sign up. It doesn't matter what artist or album: every time, the link is to the Groove homepage, even if you're signed in, nothing specific to those artists.

And the worst of all: just like the Zune Social, the Zune Marketplace text at the top of the software is gone. Your options are now limited to Quickplay, Collection, and Device. Now, I still have a lot of stuff I've downloaded from the Marketplace on my PC and in my Zune device. I don't know what will happen with that. It still plays for now, I'm noticing. Though as a test, I tried to see if one track that hadn't been synced would still do so. No... A message about needing to check usage rights, and to sign on with a Zune Music Pass. When you right click on Zune Pass content, the DRM now says... "Unknown," when it used to offer more specifics about being usable for at least another month. We'll see what happens with what's still on the device. At the very least, as of now, all Zune Marketplace DRM-protected downloads still play in the software.

So... I'm disappointed to see the Zune Marketplace go. I have nothing against Groove... I've played around with it, both on my PC and my phone, but I don't think it's quite for me. The whole point of having music stored locally was that I wouldn't need to remained tethered to a network at all times. Plus, the best thing about the Zune player was its ability to shuffle. A lot of my music isn't available in Groove, so even with a shuffle function on Groove, I'd have to exclude a lot from my collection. I have some time to decide, I suppose. In any event, I suppose I'm lucky that I've been able to get this much functionality out of Zune, years after its death was declared. Even if it's now just a media player, that's fine, because it means I can listen to my massive music collection and podcasts without having to worry about dataplans and cellular access. As for the Zune Marketplace, it's been great having you. Checking out new music will be trickier now.

Windows for home | Other | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-16T17:44:58+00:00

    If your solution works, wouldn't it kind of defeat the purpose? If you're creating a new account, wouldn't you have to pay for a new Zune/Xbox/Groove Pass? And wouldn't you lose whatever old WMA's are tied to your older account?

    FWIW, at least as of a week or two ago, I was sort of still able to access the Marketplace with my Zune 120's wireless interface. I rarely ever used it, even in the heyday of Zune, and of course the wireless is a big drain on my ever-shrinking battery's capacity, so I pretty much just permanently leave it shut down. But this seemed like a good time to see if it still worked. What I saw was that stuff still up there, so the Marketplace's architecture might still be up. But, all I could do was look. I couldn't download anything, or put it in my cart. So I don't know what the system is basing its lists of the most popular downloads on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-05-16T16:06:22+00:00

    I've still been managing to use the Zune Marketplace....

    When you run the Zune software and it tells you there's an update, that (and whatever it changes to disable the marketplace) is somehow linked to your PC user account.

    If you create a new user account and run the Zune software from there, the Marketplace magically reappears and functions normally.

    I fear messing _with the software. Will screwup any remaining functionality __ let us know if your  trick really continues towork for you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-05-15T18:41:19+00:00

    I've still been managing to use the Zune Marketplace....

    When you run the Zune software and it tells you there's an update, that (and whatever it changes to disable the marketplace) is somehow linked to your PC user account.

    If you create a new user account and run the Zune software from there, the Marketplace magically reappears and functions normally.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-05-15T18:32:09+00:00

    I'm in mourning as the rest of you are.  I just realized yesterday that Marketplace is gone.  As others said, I was in denial and was optimistic when the Zune Marketplace kept working for months.  I procrastinated on researching Groove must now I guess I must, though from what the rest of you say, if it's just a Spotify, I'll hate it. 

    Well, I just downloaded the app and logged in.  None of my many Zune playlists transferred, the ****.  I guess I'll get used to it.  The interface isn't terrible.  I guess, dinosaur that I am, that I have to just get used to my phone (otherwise known as my pocket-sized computer) is not going to have downloaded music unless I purchase it. 

    The world has changed.  I'll use Groove to sample new music (thank god I can hear full songs) and then I'll buy music I love on Amazon to "own" and provide musicians with proper royalties.   But why am I downloading music if I don't have a music-focused devise to play it on while on the road or doing things in the apartment?  I guess I'm buying them for some future-state day when someone realizes that humans want to be focused on their music and want music-centric devices.

    Don't listen to me - I don't have my thoughts straight.  All I know is that Zune was a beautiful interface.  Not all change is good and not all "improvements" are improvements.  Being human is about using tools; spending my hard-earned dollars is about OWNING and possessing - no matter how much companies want me to feel like I should trust them in the cloud; that they won't betray me by changing the rules of the game, changing my access, losing my music, etc.

    Not happy but I love music access too much to not use Groove.  We shall see.

    Trying to figure out whether I now need to sell my Zunes on eBay while they're still sale-able.

    Ay.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-05-13T15:32:19+00:00

    The day is May 13, 2016..... The day has finally come. I'm not sure why it took me longer than others, but its here. The market place is gone..and the music is just waiting to meet its death. It's been an incredible ride, and we (all the users) wish they would have just left a small group of workers dedicated to continue to support the few users that are left.

    But Microsoft, ambitions and slow is still trying to catch up on the Streaming game....even though Zune was the best service of Any, and only needed a better advertising team to make a come back. 

    It's been a good ride everyone....and just like that the great meme of the orchestra on the Titanic, we all wait to meet or fate...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments