Zune Marketplace, RIP

Anonymous
2016-04-28T08:12:22+00:00

Officially, we all heard that the Zune Marketplace, and the grandfathered Zune Pass, was going to be shut down many months ago. Of course, those of us who were fans of the service weren't happy. Well, whether out of incompetence or benevolence (I'm hoping it was the latter), at least on my end, both of these lasted significantly longer. I was still getting my free 10 mp3's as late as January. Sadly, I was only able to redeem 7 of those 10 credits before it mysteriously stopped working, but it was in time to the get the last David Bowie album, so I'm not complaining. Still, the Zune Marketplace, reduced to merely its function of providing DRM-protected content you could sync with your Zune, still worked. And worked. And worked. I was beginning to think that perhaps the better angels of Microsoft's conscience prevailed, and those of us with Zune Pass, err, Xbox, err, Groove Passes would still be able to download unlimited content for our PC's and Zune devices. Tonight, April 27, 2016, that officially ended.

My Zune software had what I thought was a glitch. It shut down, and I was offered the choice of getting it debugged. But when I restarted the software, I noticed two changes. First, when you right click artists or albums, you no longer have the option of being taken to where that content is on the Zune Marketplace. Instead, it says (for example), "More about the Flaming Lips ONLINE." Clicking those links just brings you to the Groove homepage, and an offer to sign up. It doesn't matter what artist or album: every time, the link is to the Groove homepage, even if you're signed in, nothing specific to those artists.

And the worst of all: just like the Zune Social, the Zune Marketplace text at the top of the software is gone. Your options are now limited to Quickplay, Collection, and Device. Now, I still have a lot of stuff I've downloaded from the Marketplace on my PC and in my Zune device. I don't know what will happen with that. It still plays for now, I'm noticing. Though as a test, I tried to see if one track that hadn't been synced would still do so. No... A message about needing to check usage rights, and to sign on with a Zune Music Pass. When you right click on Zune Pass content, the DRM now says... "Unknown," when it used to offer more specifics about being usable for at least another month. We'll see what happens with what's still on the device. At the very least, as of now, all Zune Marketplace DRM-protected downloads still play in the software.

So... I'm disappointed to see the Zune Marketplace go. I have nothing against Groove... I've played around with it, both on my PC and my phone, but I don't think it's quite for me. The whole point of having music stored locally was that I wouldn't need to remained tethered to a network at all times. Plus, the best thing about the Zune player was its ability to shuffle. A lot of my music isn't available in Groove, so even with a shuffle function on Groove, I'd have to exclude a lot from my collection. I have some time to decide, I suppose. In any event, I suppose I'm lucky that I've been able to get this much functionality out of Zune, years after its death was declared. Even if it's now just a media player, that's fine, because it means I can listen to my massive music collection and podcasts without having to worry about dataplans and cellular access. As for the Zune Marketplace, it's been great having you. Checking out new music will be trickier now.

Windows for home | Other | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-15T18:41:19+00:00

    I've still been managing to use the Zune Marketplace....

    When you run the Zune software and it tells you there's an update, that (and whatever it changes to disable the marketplace) is somehow linked to your PC user account.

    If you create a new user account and run the Zune software from there, the Marketplace magically reappears and functions normally.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-05-13T15:32:19+00:00

    The day is May 13, 2016..... The day has finally come. I'm not sure why it took me longer than others, but its here. The market place is gone..and the music is just waiting to meet its death. It's been an incredible ride, and we (all the users) wish they would have just left a small group of workers dedicated to continue to support the few users that are left.

    But Microsoft, ambitions and slow is still trying to catch up on the Streaming game....even though Zune was the best service of Any, and only needed a better advertising team to make a come back. 

    It's been a good ride everyone....and just like that the great meme of the orchestra on the Titanic, we all wait to meet or fate...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-05-10T03:06:53+00:00

    I am loosing sleep -- the expensive media players are now almost worthless ,

    is there no way to download to any music to any device ? forget apple--

    a smartphone does not replace a standalone player for me ..

    perhaps GOOGLE will create a device , they can do anything !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-05-09T17:44:18+00:00

    I have been a Zune user since day 1.....November 2006 on Black Friday I got a black Zune 30GB. BTW, it still works like a charm!! Been using the Zune music service since November 2006 also, even though for some reason my account here says Nov 2010??

    My wife has a Pink Zune30 and I also have a ZuneHD32, one of my kids had a white Zune30GB but he killed it years ago.

    The Marketplace was theee place to go to discover new music, which is what Zune was all about back in 2006. Other than music forum websites, the Marketplace was the place I found new artists almost weekly back in the day, the Related Artists link was invaluable.

    I suppose I don't have a huge problem with Groove Music, I just wish what you added to your Collection you could also sync it to the Zune device, I mean they allow it on almost all other devices why not Zune players?

    I have NEVER been a streaming service user like Spotify or other, and essentially that is what Groove is now....You can listen only with a network connection, what do I do on a plane now?

    I am not planning on cancelling my Groove Pass, I'll give this several months and see how it all goes.

    Another question I have is, I have a high end sound system, the Marketplace streamed at like 128-192kbps I never streamed to my system because it sounded like crapp, no dynamics. What bit rate does Groove stream at? That will be a factor if I keep the Groove Pass.....

    Zune Forever.....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-05-08T04:24:51+00:00

    some geek needs to create a way to place music on the ZUNE devices--

      is there no way to store your music collection on any device ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments