Windows 10: Disable automatic connection of a wireless network

Anonymous
2016-03-01T00:23:10+00:00

I have a number of available networks in my area but I wish to connect automatically only to my secured Home network. The problem is that one of the unsecured building networks is checked to connect automatically. I have tried to uncheck the box but it always comes back as "connect automatically". I keep getting hundreds of notifications that "UD Tower Network requires attention"  that are making me slightly insane. How do I turn off the connect automatically button for this network? WIndows 10, 64 bit

Original Title: Connect Automatically Network

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-03-01T05:47:25+00:00

Hello Fred,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused with Windows 10.

You may follow the below steps to turn off the “connect automatically” option.

  1. Press Windows key + A to open action center and click on All Settings.
  2. Now select Network and Internet.
  3. In the left panel, select Wi-Fi.
  4. Now in the right panel, select the option Change Adapter Options.
  5. The Change Adapter Options will open the Network Connections. You will find the network connection to which your computer or tablet is connected.
  6. Double click on the wireless connection to open the Wi-Fi status. Go to Wireless Properties.
  7. Under Connection tab, find out “Connect automatically when this network is in range“. By default it is enabled. To disable it, uncheck the option and tap ok.

Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-02T00:55:50+00:00

    Anybody find a solution to this problem? It is driving me mad. 

    This is a very big security issue that needs to be addressed.

    Please help someone?!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-02T01:01:52+00:00

    Did anybody find a solution to this? It is driving me mad.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-06T05:28:16+00:00

    Thank you to Pieter Geerkens- your reply comes closer to the truth.

    "...The issue seems to be that the Microsoft responders are all working inside a domain with Group Policies set, while we are not. After considerable research, I seem to have found the answer by manually using netsh to set local Group Policies as shown here:..."

    Yes, I think that those of us with this problem are not part of any domains where group policies control our settings, access or other policies. I think we are all owners of stand alone laptops. The biggest problem, though, is that Microsoft wants to take away our ownership and control of our machines and decide for us what we need on our laptops. Microsoft push down updates, policies, and other settings as they see fit, and to hell with the individual owner.

    On 2 January 2018 Microsoft pushed down updates that depleted the databundle at the office- I am not allowed to update my machine on the office network, and I want to run my updates at night from home, but Microsoft in their wisdom just took control of my machine and did what they wanted. The end result is that I had to pay my employer back the complete amount of the monthly databundle (which is capped, as we don't usually use a lot of data) and my machine did not work smoothly for days because the download did not complete and some applications and software were only halfway updated. It took me several attempts with three different reps from Microsoft- using even more data- to fix my machine and get back up and running again.

    Instead of choosing settings, policies and updates for the individual user, allow us to choose for ourselves what we need, and when we need it. After all, we paid good money for the computer and the software on it- we should be able to decide what we want or not.

    The fact is that Microsoft wants our individual computers to connect to the internet, no matter what, and it is irrelevant how much we fiddle with the wireless settings- it resets the moment we exit the settings and the machines connect automatically at the next restart. It seems the only way to prevent this is to become part of a domain with group policies that are controlled by a local host.

    I also run two other laptops with Win7 and WinXP. I know those operating systems are outdated, but they work and I have control of my machine at all times. Why can't Microsoft return control of Win10 machines to the owners? My Macbook allows me full control of the device and I never have problems. I use it much the same as the Win10 laptop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-06T05:29:04+00:00

    Did anybody find a solution to this? It is driving me mad.

    Please see my entry above

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments