Windows 10: Disable automatic connection of a wireless network

Anonymous
2016-03-01T00:23:10+00:00

I have a number of available networks in my area but I wish to connect automatically only to my secured Home network. The problem is that one of the unsecured building networks is checked to connect automatically. I have tried to uncheck the box but it always comes back as "connect automatically". I keep getting hundreds of notifications that "UD Tower Network requires attention"  that are making me slightly insane. How do I turn off the connect automatically button for this network? WIndows 10, 64 bit

Original Title: Connect Automatically Network

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-03-01T05:47:25+00:00

Hello Fred,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused with Windows 10.

You may follow the below steps to turn off the “connect automatically” option.

  1. Press Windows key + A to open action center and click on All Settings.
  2. Now select Network and Internet.
  3. In the left panel, select Wi-Fi.
  4. Now in the right panel, select the option Change Adapter Options.
  5. The Change Adapter Options will open the Network Connections. You will find the network connection to which your computer or tablet is connected.
  6. Double click on the wireless connection to open the Wi-Fi status. Go to Wireless Properties.
  7. Under Connection tab, find out “Connect automatically when this network is in range“. By default it is enabled. To disable it, uncheck the option and tap ok.

Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-03T17:04:38+00:00

    That answer was absolutely useless, and I think you knew it. You guys have screwed this up, haven't you? There's no fix yet is there?

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-07-03T22:39:15+00:00

    Happy 4th of July, Is there a way to block network notifications?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-07-19T21:43:58+00:00

    Hi,

    Sorry for the delay in replying.

    If you have not tried this then you may follow these steps to test if that helps:

    • Open "Network and Sharing Center".
    • On the left pane, click on the option "Manage wireless networks”.
    • Look for those networks where the Security is "Unsecured." Right-click on an unsecured network, then click on "Properties”.
    • Make sure that the box next to "Connect automatically when this network is in range," is not checked. Then click on "OK" to save your settings. Repeat the steps to uncheck the box for any other unsecured networks on the list.

    Keep us informed to help you further.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-12T14:46:11+00:00

    This isn't helpful.

    This is clearly a software issue and can't be rectified by playing with wireless settings. Please can Microsoft create a patch? I find that often it stops me logging in as the computer is confused on the networks it is connected to.

    I have followed all the suggested steps and it makes no difference as I am not actually connected to the networks that the computer is suggesting I connect automatically to.

    Regrads

    David

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments