High CPU and memory usage when use Flash Player and images-heavy sites in all browsers or when I download files

Anonymous
2016-05-29T10:02:19+00:00

Hello! From long ago I have issues with high CPU and memory usage when use Flash Player and images-heavy sites or when I download files. The issues happen in Mozilla, Opera, Opera Beta and Chrome. Also when I use fractals rendering software. CPU usage becomes as high that my PC start sounding like a helicopter. Here are some sites I cannot use for that reason (digital design related):

https://www.sumopaint.com/home/#app

http://weavesilk.com/

And this TV site:

http://www.hotstar.com/tv/diya-aur-baati-hum/81/episodes/81/9993

Even if I chose an interactive theme/appearance in Opera Beta (like Star Wars) CPU usage goes wild because Flash Player .

I asked some buddies and they don't have such issues with Sumo and Silk. I checked my anti-vir and it doesn't block anything Adobe or image related. My firewall doesn't block anything too. I posted my question in Adobe Community too (because Flash Player) but still got no reply.

My graphic driver is up to date. Pagefile size is also ok, set min and max to 1.5x of the RAM.

My Hardware and Environment details:

Windows 8.1 (upgraded from Windows 8)

RAM: 4 GB (3.88 Usable)

Intel Celeron CPU G540 2.50 GHz

64-bit OS, x64-based processor

I can't attach my DxDiag.txt file and I'm not sure if it is safe to paste it's content here due to publicly of my post.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-06-03T14:39:17+00:00

Hello,

Thank you for updating on the issue.

Did you try upgrading to Windows 10 after running DISM commands successfully?

You may also create Windows 10 installation media using this link and then try to upgrade to Windows 10.

Refer:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I hope this information helps.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-10-11T10:13:32+00:00

    Thank you for the reply!

    During the unsuccessful update 1067 I contacted MS Helpdesk via tablet and was advised after returning old version of OS to stop and disable 3 services and that to prevent same update to appear again and again. Would this be a problem for restarting in Safe Mode With Networking? I won't dare making Clean Boot, I'm afraid of some mistake I could do.

    Some people see the issue in my CPU being Celeron. I tend to agree but in that matter it worked well in Win 8.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-10-10T18:28:26+00:00

    Hi,

    To address your concern, we recommend that you boot your system in Safe mode. From there, check if the issues occur. When in Safe mode, Windows uses a limited set of files and drivers. It can help you troubleshoot problems on your PC. For example, if the problem doesn't happen in Safe mode, you'll know default settings and basic device drivers aren't causing the issue.

    To boot in Safe mode, please check this link.

    We also recommend that you perform a clean boot. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows.

    To perform clean boot, check this link.

    Let us know how it goes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-10-09T16:05:35+00:00

    Hello again! I'm sorry but I need to bump my question as my issues continues. I was advised to install Mozilla x64 but it didn't help much. Also my PC couldn't be updated with update/upgrade 1067 so I got help in MS chat to get old version back and stop updates. I'm with Win 10 now as it was before this unlucky 1067.

    I wanted to ask which of these things can be the reason for my issues with high CPU usage on pages with Flash and many images (some using Flash too):

    1. I had Free Acronis Drive Monitor and as I learned Acronis products might cause drivers changes. I had it approximately same time I started having high CPU issues. It is uninstalled from long ago but soon I found Registry leftover Acronis Server. It's not listed in MS Config though.
    2. I have too many fonts - appr. 4000. I tried to restore defaults but nothing happened. Deleting made CPU going to 100% (even one by one). I restarted two times today in my try to clean fonts but in result from 2500+ they become around 4000.
    3. CCleaner shows two ActiveX issues in registry which can't be cleaned.
    4. Leftovers from Glary Utilities also can exist in Registry but I don't know how to clean them.

    Many thanks in advance!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-01T14:24:39+00:00

    As I started to remember maybe the CPU issue started after my first upgrade from Win 8 to Win 8.1.

    I found an article about that even if hardware worked well in 8 and 8.1 it might be not so ok in 10.

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-high-cpu-usage-fix-490908.shtml

    I'm asking particularly about Method 1 suggested there. Would it help? Yesterday I tried all 4 methods but on start my PC started to make a sound (similar to when connect new device). So I restored all I did.

    Another problem is that my graphic card is customized by my manufacturer Lenovo. It is not with the latest Intel driver but when I try to update it it says the driver I use is up-to-date. My CPU is Celeron and as I read somewhere "it do whatever it wants".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments