The KB3140743 update for Windows 10 molested xinputhid.sys which is the Xinput driver. Try uninstall KB3140743 and see if it helps.
xbox one controller crash
Hello everyone i have a question regarding the xbox one controller on pc.
everything was working just fine till an hour ago.
when i play a game (ex assassin's creed 4) i can play it no problem with the xbox one controller. when i quit the game and go back to desktop, everything is still fine. as soon as i disconnect my xbox one controller the whole system crashes. nothing responds. when i press ctrl alt delete mouse responds but when pointer moves i can hear a beeping sound from my tv speekers.... and i have to force the computer off cause it won't shut down.
another problem i have is when playing tales from the borderlands. if i play with keyboard and mouse i get fps = 60. as soon as i launch the game with xbox controller my fps drop between 4-25 and the game gets super laggy.
the same problem occurs if i use the controller with wire or with the wireless adapter.
didn't have any problem till just an hour ago.
i'm thinking of formatting the pc cause it's driving me nuts.
any1 has a solution.
for the record i uninstalled the drivers from device manager. both wireless adapter and xbox controller. i had to deconnect the xbox controller to uninstalled cause if i kept it plugged the pc would still freeze.
thx for help
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Gaming
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
47 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2016-03-05T05:31:59+00:00 this one is better since windows update will force the update in again
Alright problem solved.
You weren't completely off about the driver thing, but it's a little more tricky than that.
If you are using Windows 10 default drivers for you Xbox One controller, that's what's been broken by update KB3140743.
Solution:
- Download old drivers from here: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/search.aspx?q=xbox%20one%20controller. You'll need to use Internet Explorer to access that link. Make sure you download the second one in the list (filesize 1.5 MB).
- Extract the downloaded .cab file into a folder of your choice.
- Go to Device Manager and scroll down to the Xbox Peripherals section. If you're using default drivers, the device is named "Xbox Controller". Right-click > Update Driver Software... > Browse my computer... > Let me pick... > Have Disk... > Browse... > Navigate to the folder where you extracted the driver package and select xb1usb.inf. You should now see "Microsoft Xbox One Controller" listed in the Model column. Select it and click Next.
- Let the driver install. Your controller may or may not give a rumble of approval. To verify that it installed correctly, look in Device Manager in the Xbox Peripherals sections. Your controller should now be named Microsoft Xbox One Controller instead of Xbox Controller.
- Launch Halo and test
The first time I tried this fix, I had to unplug/replug the controller.
NOTE: I'm not sure if Windows 10 will try to update the driver automatically. Just to be sure, I unchecked "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" in the "Check for Updates" app's Advanced Settings.
ALSO: I'm not sure if this old driver will cause problems with Windows 10 apps (ex: Xbox App, Windows 10 games purchased through the Windows Store). Not sure if the headset will work with this driver either.
-
Anonymous
2016-03-05T08:20:58+00:00 I'm also suspecting a MS problem after monitoring my CPU during the problem.
After switching of the controller, the "Desktop Window Manager" (dsm.exe) process jumps to about 17% CPU load and stays there. It usually idles at around 0.1-0.5%. Force-Killing this process results in a reboot (which I'd have to do anyway to fix the problem...)
I'll try uninstalling the update and using Surfero's solution in the bottom and let you guys know!
Edit:
I cannot follow Surfero's solution steps as I am using a Wireless Adapter for my XBone Controller. My controller shows up as "XINPUT compatible HID device" (the adapter itself is under "Network Devices/Adapters" ("Netzwerkadapter" in german) as "XBox Wireless Adapter for Windows") and when I try to install the driver cab to the XINPUT Device it just gives me "This device already has the newest driver installed"
-
Anonymous
2016-03-05T15:53:51+00:00 Jst plug the controller and doo the update. Im using wireless adapter also. Just plug xbox one controller then go to xbox controller and follow steps. It didnt solve my crashing problem with uplay tho. Apparently helps with halo. Cant believe microsoftbricking their own fkin hardware.i guess that s what you get when you want to buy official to avoid dealingwith drivers. Should have bought a ps4 cont
-
Anonymous
2016-03-08T17:28:39+00:00 Hi
I have the exact same problem in Dying Light (steam) and The Divsion (uplay). The controller randomly stops working and the locks up the mouse/other usb units and the bleeping starts when I click the mouse.
I cannot get windows to update as suggested above since it just says "windows has detected that the optimal driver is allready installed".
HELP!