Windows 7 won't update after clean install

Anonymous
2016-02-11T15:40:22+00:00

I recently acquired a Vista laptop that I upgraded with an SSD and Windows 7 Professional.  After an uneventful install on a new SSD and activation, I discovered that Win7 won't update, the update console just continues to search for updates, and CPU activity hovers around 50%.  I've tied several fixes from this site and others with no luck.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-05-09T22:04:19+00:00

I am not a PC expert, but I (FINALLY) know what caused this problem and how to solve it !!  But first note that this is the solution for my WINDOWS 7, 64 bit Home Premium right after a clean install.  I don't know if this scheme will work for 32 bit systems or other Win 7s, but mayhap with minor alterations and some searches...??

The part of Windows 7 that searches for updates would normally take 24 to 48 hours to finish its search.  You can tell you have this problem, whilst you wait for the updater to search, by CTRL-ALT-DEL, start Task Manager, then look at PROCESSES TAB, then click: Show Processes From All Users.  Look down the list until you find a SVCHOST.EXE being run by SYSTEM that is using 50% or more CPU and a huge chunk (73%) of memory.  So, go to Windows Update in Control Panel and tell it to never look for updates.  Then back to Task Manager and KILL the big fat 50% process you just found.

MS has produced a fix (2 KB patches) that you cannot ordinarily get to without an update.  There is a way to download those 2 KB files, but then...

You cannot ordinarily install them without using WUSA (the Windows Update Stand-Alone installer).  And if you try to use it to install the fixes, WUSA will first begin another 48 hour search for updates before installing anything.  This is a circular trap !

Go to the following link to download Windows6.1-KB3102810-x64.msu

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49540

Use the SAVE option, DO NOT RUN IT!

Go to the following link to download Windows6.1-KB3112343-x64.msu

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50023

Use the SAVE option, DO NOT RUN IT!

Look for these two files in your DOWNLOADS folder.  Copy them to your DESKTOP.

Now to install them, you must use the StandAlone installer, WUSA, BUTyou must FORCE IT to simply do it without searching forever.  Here is how:

First, copy the following line exactly and completely:

"C:\Users*Edmund*\Desktop\windows6.1-kb3102810-x64.msu" /wuforce

Click the Start Globe;

Click in the Search Programs And Files box;

Type: RUN

(make sure you are running as Administrator)

Click on the RUN at the top, then Right Click on it, and select PASTE;

Change the Edmund to whatever your USER name is;

Hit ENTER and let it roll.  After the install is done, then...

Copy the following line exactly:

"C:\Users*Edmund*\Desktop\windows6.1-kb3112343-x64.msu" /wuforce

Click the Start Globe;

Click in the Search Programs And Files box;

Type: RUN

(make sure you are running as Administrator)

Click on the RUN at the top, then Right Click on it, and select PASTE;

Change the Edmund to whatever your USER name is;

Hit ENTER and let it roll again.  After that install is done, RESTART your computer.

You should now be able to setup the UPDATEs in Control Panel and Search For Updates.  Within about 10 minutes or less, you should have a huge list of KBs to download and install.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-09-04T01:07:41+00:00

    I'm still listening.  Thanks, all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-09-03T17:28:08+00:00

    Not sure if you'll receive this but I wanted to thank you. After 3 days of endless searches, 'fixes', workarounds, downloads and formats, I found your post and it worked beautifully. I'm downloaded a metric ton of updates right now. Thank you so much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-24T21:06:52+00:00

    This was a brilliant solution.  I have been fighting a windows 7 system for 3 days now with a clean install and a failed windows 7 upgrade.  I did not have to use the run command but was able to just click on the downloaded to desktop files and install the 2 updates which then allowed 295 updates to be found and the procedure to update started.  Thank you.  Great find.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-06-20T16:03:52+00:00

    After runing MGADiag, MircrosoftFixit.wu.Run, NetFXRepairTool, NDP451-KB2858728, Windows6.1-KB97821, WindowsActivationUpdate, WindowsUpadateDiagnostic, wsuofline, FixDotNet201, Windows 6.1 KB3050265, and multiple times windows update (and MicrosoftFixit).

    I also did multiple reboots, plugged a cable instead of using the wireless on the laptop, removed antivirus, went thru msconfig, turned off services, sync time, turning off IP 6, and even called the manufacturer.

    Just a note I remember doing this a couple times before, when you call the manufacturer and it is not on warranty they will want you buy an new warranty, they will not give your money back if they can not fix it.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612seemed to work.  It could also be a combination of all the above but the 3138612 was the last thing I did.

    Thanks for the information

    Wayne

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments