Windows 7 won't update after clean install

Anonymous
2016-02-11T15:40:22+00:00

I recently acquired a Vista laptop that I upgraded with an SSD and Windows 7 Professional.  After an uneventful install on a new SSD and activation, I discovered that Win7 won't update, the update console just continues to search for updates, and CPU activity hovers around 50%.  I've tied several fixes from this site and others with no luck.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-05-09T22:04:19+00:00

I am not a PC expert, but I (FINALLY) know what caused this problem and how to solve it !!  But first note that this is the solution for my WINDOWS 7, 64 bit Home Premium right after a clean install.  I don't know if this scheme will work for 32 bit systems or other Win 7s, but mayhap with minor alterations and some searches...??

The part of Windows 7 that searches for updates would normally take 24 to 48 hours to finish its search.  You can tell you have this problem, whilst you wait for the updater to search, by CTRL-ALT-DEL, start Task Manager, then look at PROCESSES TAB, then click: Show Processes From All Users.  Look down the list until you find a SVCHOST.EXE being run by SYSTEM that is using 50% or more CPU and a huge chunk (73%) of memory.  So, go to Windows Update in Control Panel and tell it to never look for updates.  Then back to Task Manager and KILL the big fat 50% process you just found.

MS has produced a fix (2 KB patches) that you cannot ordinarily get to without an update.  There is a way to download those 2 KB files, but then...

You cannot ordinarily install them without using WUSA (the Windows Update Stand-Alone installer).  And if you try to use it to install the fixes, WUSA will first begin another 48 hour search for updates before installing anything.  This is a circular trap !

Go to the following link to download Windows6.1-KB3102810-x64.msu

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49540

Use the SAVE option, DO NOT RUN IT!

Go to the following link to download Windows6.1-KB3112343-x64.msu

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50023

Use the SAVE option, DO NOT RUN IT!

Look for these two files in your DOWNLOADS folder.  Copy them to your DESKTOP.

Now to install them, you must use the StandAlone installer, WUSA, BUTyou must FORCE IT to simply do it without searching forever.  Here is how:

First, copy the following line exactly and completely:

"C:\Users*Edmund*\Desktop\windows6.1-kb3102810-x64.msu" /wuforce

Click the Start Globe;

Click in the Search Programs And Files box;

Type: RUN

(make sure you are running as Administrator)

Click on the RUN at the top, then Right Click on it, and select PASTE;

Change the Edmund to whatever your USER name is;

Hit ENTER and let it roll.  After the install is done, then...

Copy the following line exactly:

"C:\Users*Edmund*\Desktop\windows6.1-kb3112343-x64.msu" /wuforce

Click the Start Globe;

Click in the Search Programs And Files box;

Type: RUN

(make sure you are running as Administrator)

Click on the RUN at the top, then Right Click on it, and select PASTE;

Change the Edmund to whatever your USER name is;

Hit ENTER and let it roll again.  After that install is done, RESTART your computer.

You should now be able to setup the UPDATEs in Control Panel and Search For Updates.  Within about 10 minutes or less, you should have a huge list of KBs to download and install.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-10T09:04:38+00:00

    if Windows 7 have troubles to find updates, causing high CPU or RAM usage with the process Svchost.exe, it is due that Windows Update was not able to update automatically the Windows Update Client.

    in this case, you need to download the update manually, this is the most recent version for now: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612

    Thanks for your advice, BUT....

    I spent 4 days at about 12 hours each, reading Forums and trying all of the "fixes" including your solution along with Mr. FIXIT, etc., and 3 long nights chatting for hours with 3 MS techs using remote control of my computer.  The FIRST thing they did was what you suggested (again).  The 37th thing they tried also did not work.

    What is worse, is that the WUSA will not update for most of us poor unlearned folks without it first doing a search for updates, which also will take about 48 hours of computer on time.  Did you not read what I wrote?

    I did not capitulate and go for Win 10 in desperate frustration.

    I was a Computer Scientist on huge mainframe computers for 30 years, but I'm not an expert on PCs.  However, my solution is very easy and it works.  Your solution was tried several times and it did NOT work.  I would be happy to hear from other successful folks.

    strange, because with the KB update I told you, it should only take 10 minutes to search updates.

    maybe you have corrupted Windows Update folders, try use my tool to fix that (run as admin): http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/J62uSUSQ/file.HTML

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-05-10T03:17:19+00:00

    if Windows 7 have troubles to find updates, causing high CPU or RAM usage with the process Svchost.exe, it is due that Windows Update was not able to update automatically the Windows Update Client.

    in this case, you need to download the update manually, this is the most recent version for now: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612

    Thanks for your advice, BUT....

    I spent 4 days at about 12 hours each, reading Forums and trying all of the "fixes" including your solution along with Mr. FIXIT, etc., and 3 long nights chatting for hours with 3 MS techs using remote control of my computer.  The FIRST thing they did was what you suggested (again).  The 37th thing they tried also did not work.

    What is worse, is that the WUSA will not update for most of us poor unlearned folks without it first doing a search for updates, which also will take about 48 hours of computer on time.  Did you not read what I wrote?

    I did not capitulate and go for Win 10 in desperate frustration.

    I was a Computer Scientist on huge mainframe computers for 30 years, but I'm not an expert on PCs.  However, my solution is very easy and it works.  Your solution was tried several times and it did NOT work.  I would be happy to hear from other successful folks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-05-10T02:03:47+00:00

    if Windows 7 have troubles to find updates, causing high CPU or RAM usage with the process Svchost.exe, it is due that Windows Update was not able to update automatically the Windows Update Client.

    in this case, you need to download the update manually, this is the most recent version for now: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-04-19T04:04:06+00:00

    Switch your windows update setting to Never check for updates temporarily

    Restart the machine

    Then download this to your downloads folder to run it from there,

    Download the x86 for 32 bit system or x64 for a 64 bit system

    Install it and restart when prompted too after it does a stand alone search for updates which shouldn't

    take too long it took all of 5 seconds "If" the windows update settings are switched to Never check for

    updates before running it from the downloads folder.

    Once it installs and restarts

    You can reset your updates setting to whatever you had prior = Default....

    Then manually check for updates.

    I believe the solution came from Softpedia and Joel_CS posted it on this thread,

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-update-hanging-when-downloading-april-12-patches-502886.shtml

    You have to scroll down for Joel SC's post it is the last reply on this thread,

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-update-hangs/dbd539c3-bfc6-42df-a6ff-0e55ef7938eb?page=6

    If you want to start over with the clean install review this process to limit the pain

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-update-remains-at-checking-for-updates/ff3c442e-79a6-40d3-ac35-29e130cebef1

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments