Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.213.5087.0) - Error 0x80070643

Anonymous
2016-02-01T12:45:02+00:00

For weeks now keep getting the message:

"Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.213.5087.0) - Error 0x80070643"

While the computer seems to run ok, in the mean time I cannot update windows 10...

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-15T19:39:01+00:00

    This did not work for me.  Still having the same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-05-15T19:32:19+00:00

    I have to uninstall Norton and reboot before I can turn Windows Defender on or off.  After the reboot I select Windows 10 Settings - Update & Security, Windows Defender, and click on the Real-time protection ON/OFF button to turn it on.  Then I run  Windows Update.   After I have run Windows Update with Windows Defender on, it completes the updates successfully and then I can turn Windows Defender off.   Then I reboot and reinstall Norton.  I have to repeat this procedure every time I want to run Windows Update successfully.   Microsoft needs to fix the Windows Update logic to check for a third party AV activated and if there is, apply all of the other updates, bypassing Windows Defender updates. 

    Things need to be fixed for sure – but in the meantime you could at least try the workaround. Turning off Windows Defender’s real-time protection isn’t what we’re talking about, and it won’t solve the update problem. But disabling Windows Defender in the Policies key should immediately fix the update issue for you. If you have the Home edition of Windows 10, then just download and run the Ten Forums Turn_Off_Windows_Defender.reg file and let us know the result:

    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5918-windows-defender-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

    Here’s the long version of the fix, which also depends on disabling Windows Defender in the Policies registry key with the Ten Forums reg file:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect\_defender-protect\_updating/definition-update-for-windows-defender-fails-over/02927e61-14b5-4255-b4d7-e8c93114fdd0

    GreginMich

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-05-15T19:02:33+00:00

    I have to uninstall Norton and reboot before I can turn Windows Defender on or off.  After the reboot I select Windows 10 Settings - Update & Security, Windows Defender, and click on the Real-time protection ON/OFF button to turn it on.  Then I run  Windows Update.   After I have run Windows Update with Windows Defender on, it completes the updates successfully and then I can turn Windows Defender off.   Then I reboot and reinstall Norton.  I have to repeat this procedure every time I want to run Windows Update successfully.   Microsoft needs to fix the Windows Update logic to check for a third party AV activated and if there is, apply all of the other updates, bypassing Windows Defender updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-05-15T18:39:44+00:00

    I have not been able to download  windows defender  KB2267602 under error                   OX80070643....for a least 5/days...pls he/BG5050/******@outlook.com......thks....

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-05-15T17:53:32+00:00

    How are you “turning off” Windows Defender? People who’ve actually disabled Windows Defender in the Policies key aren’t reporting any kind of recidivism, so maybe we should at least let folks give this a try. The updates actually appear to be failing because Windows Defender is stuck in a state of limbo (an indeterminate state) between being turned on and turned off. The third-party AV app is apparently being registered in the WMI Security Center namespace, but Windows Defender isn't being properly disabled in the Windows Defender registry key. Once Windows Defender is properly disabled, the issue appears to be resolved in many cases.

    GreginMich

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments